• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Suspension on 96 XLT Touring Bottming out

06Sporty1200

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1999 Polaris Classic Touring
1996 Polaris XLT Touring 600 Triple
So… I have 2 older Polaris 2-up snowmobiles I purchased a couple years ago. I have a 1996 XLT
Touring 600 Triple that is giving me some suspension tension:D.

The end of the Torsion springs are bottoming out to the point that they are hitting the Bolt head and the nut on the other end of the 11” suspension bolt. I replaced this with new bolt/nut in the begging of last riding season and as you can see in the pics its smashed down again.

Torsion Sprint is up on High putting it on low or Medium makes no difference they don’t seem to be bent or Broke they look the same as the ones on 1999 Classic Touring sled. There are 2 shocks in the rear the one is the front is spun all the way up. The one is the rear does not have an adjustment screw. (note* the 99 classic has adjustable shocks on both track ones)

This 96 sled has higher ride high than the 99 classic and does spring back when you push the suspension down. But when I sit on the sled it goes down easy and is to the point that it hurts to ride it bottoms out so much on groomed trails.

I have been researching this issue and getting mixed signals, if I spend the money to replace both the rear shocks will this solve my issue?

I weigh around 230 but this is a 2-up sled it should be able to hold me with a passenger like the 99 does.

Other than this suspension issue this sled runs like a champ for its age.

Mention I am Newer to snowmobiles I have been riding and working on ATV’s most of my life but I have found my way around the sleds pretty well.
sled.jpg
IMG-1201.jpg
IMG-1203.jpg
IMG-1204.jpg
IMG-1205.jpg
IMG-1207.jpg
IMG-1210.jpg

Shocks are shot and most likely the springs are bagged out from not having the shocks working properly.They need to be replaced.

I think you have a big problem. The mounting holes in the aluminum rail for your front torque arm (picture #2) are elongated a ton. If the holes were up where they belong the end of the spring wouldn't hit the bolt, also in picture #2. You ABSOLUTELY need to remedy that before you do anything else.

I think you have a big problem. The mounting holes in the aluminum rail for your front torque arm (picture #2) are elongated a ton. If the holes were up where they belong the end of the spring wouldn't hit the bolt, also in picture #2. You ABSOLUTELY need to remedy that before you do anything else.

most likely pounded out from not working correctly.

From what we see in our shop it's almost always loose bolts. Once the bolts loosen up it keeps pounding on the rail until it looks like the one in the picture. Every machine out there should have all bolts (not just suspension) checked at least every year.

Good Catch I did not even see that behind the wheel my other sled does not look like that. I am sure that has a lot to do with the issue.

Does Anyone Know what Rear most shock I can get for this sled? I ordered one that was supposed to be compatible for the original 7041481 but it is to long and it Don't have no groves to hold the Spring Bottom Ring.
I was able to find one that works for the Rear-Front one.

Back
Top Bottom