• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Track size

PolarisTim

OK SNOW Anytime now!!
I have the Pro X SB and I'm really happy with the Backcountry x 1.75 track. But I do like the fact you can chose different tracks now in 2016! But I would of still chose the 1.75. I got my wife a 1.6 ice cobra track for her Pro S 600 and it seemed to work great! Until she got stuck...lol...

How much better is the Backcountry track off trail than the cobra? Im going to upgrade the track on the pro s I have ordered and was considering a 1.6 ice cobra or 1.6 cobra. I had the backcountry on my Nytro and I really liked it, Maybe I should go with the backcountry instead?

I dont want to have backcountry gearing, I find that too low for my type of riding.

The cobra seems to be good for groomed trails and some powder, not like the backcountry in powder. Better in groomed trails with a cobra then the backcountry.
I guess you need to evaluate your riding style?
Mine is 90% groomed trails with about 10% off trail and I like the cobra and ripsaw11 lite with studs.
All in riding style and were your located I guess:)

We get alot of powder here. 75/25 on/trail. Think the pro S stock gearing would handle the backcountry track ok?
The stock gearing on the S models is a little tall in my mind(1.61). It will be hard to ever achieve a 1:1 ratio(full shift out).
Now going in the 1.7 rato's, your going to get a 1:1 shift better and more consistently.
Something to think about

I run the 1.6 ice cobra on my nytro, I really like this track..When my wifes switch comes in I am swapping out the 1.3 cobra for a 1.6 ice cobra..

I love my backcountry x track, but I do ride a lot of backcountry! My wife's with the 1.6 ice track is good cause I'm trying to get her in the backcountry more. But the cobra is great on trails too. Mine is ok, but will slid out on me on hard pack. Which is fun...lol

I am thinking of going with 23/40 gearing when I change my track to either a 1.6 cobra or 1.75 backcountry. What clutching should be done when changing gearing for a larger track? My knowledge on clutching is very limited.

Lol...mine too. Once someone gets my clutching close then I can get it perfect. But totally changing like you did I wouldn't know where to start. I'm good at suspension and that's what I like to adjust. I'll let others help.me with clutching!

I ran a cobra all last year on my sba and this year went to a backcountry.The track definitely has more hook up on the trail but the cobra was better in the corners.I get a little push But it's worth it for the extra hook up off trail.I had my sba out in Idaho and Wyoming in the mtns with the backcountry riding with all rmk it did really well out there but I'm also a decent mtn rider too.

I didn't make it out west this year. But have done plenty of deep powder riding this year with my 1.75 back country track. I like it on the trail. But probably not as good on trail as the cobra. But I like off trail alot more. So I'm happy with the 1.75!

I am thinking of going with 23/40 gearing when I change my track to either a 1.6 cobra or 1.75 backcountry. What clutching should be done when changing gearing for a larger track? My knowledge on clutching is very limited.

Clutching and gearing is all about what you want out of your sled.

Most what it alll,lol...............You can't have a lake racer and expect a good backshifting trail set up, or vice-versa.

I try to get the best of both worlds( great acceleration/backshift and good top end). I like to get my full shiftout on a good run @ 1200'

The 1.74 ratio in my mind is good for 1.25" and 1.325" lug height tracks. Once you get a deeper lug height, I think you should probably gear even lower.
I think a 1.80 ratio, 20/36 66 pitch chain will work better for you with anything on or above a 1.5" lug hieght and still get you a decent top end. 100 MPH at 1:1 shift @ 8250 rpm,and add a little overdrive( 5 to 10%) = 105 MPH+

Last edited:
i was reading on hcs and a similar post they said 21/38 would give me a 1.81 ratio and keep the same chain. Shouldn't notice much difference between 1.80 and 1.81?

i was reading on hcs and a similar post they said 21/38 would give me a 1.81 ratio and keep the same chain. Shouldn't notice much difference between 1.80 and 1.81?
Yes, you can use this ratio and keep stock chain.
The reason I mentioned the 1.80 ratio is because it has less slack(dog leg)

:)Thanks Brock for the help. I think the backcountry would be better for me vs the cobra.

I think I will leave the clutching stock for a bit to see how it works with the upgraded track.

:)Thanks Brock for the help. I think the backcountry would be better for me vs the cobra.

I think I will leave the clutching stock for a bit to see how it works with the upgraded track.

clutching is really good with the 1.75 track, but after around 1000 miles i lost like 300 rpm, so i changed my belt and got the rpms right back, so im thinking of changing the spring and helix...

If you gear it down to 23/40 you have options.first thing I would do is add some weight to the primary and get rid of the gold spring if this sled is stock 8250 is your target rpm go over that and your just making noise
Clutching and gearing is all about what you want out of your sled.

Most what it alll,lol...............You can't have a lake racer and expect a good backshifting trail set up, or vice-versa.

I try to get the best of both worlds( great acceleration/backshift and good top end). I like to get my full shiftout on a good run @ 1200'

The 1.74 ratio in my mind is good for 1.25" and 1.325" lug height tracks. Once you get a deeper lug height, I think you should probably gear even lower.
I think a 1.80 ratio, 20/36 66 pitch chain will work better for you with anything on or above a 1.5" lug hieght and still get you a decent top end. 100 MPH at 1:1 shift @ 8250 rpm,and add a little overdrive( 5 to 10%) = 105 MPH+
that's good advice

Back
Top Bottom