• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Tungsten disulfied WS2 coating

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
This has been stated as the best coating for fighting friction and heat ?
High heat properties, low friction and microns thick. What's not to like?

Benefits and Capabilities of Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)
  • The WS2 low friciton coating overcomes or reduces mechanical lubrication problems which improve performance and extend service life.
  • Reduces friction to lower emissions as less fuel is used for a given power level when applied to engine parts such as pistons rings, cams and bores.
  • Eliminates and reduces costly maintenance problems that cause breakdowns and expensive downtime by stopping galling, fretting and friction caused by dissimilar metals and their different hardness factors.
  • Maintains the dimensional integrity of the substrate to within 1.0 micron with no build-up. Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) particles will not adhere to themselves so the coating thickness is limited to 1.0 micron.
  • Withstands loads to 100,000 psi (or load capacity equal to substrate) and operates in the temperature range of -460°F to 1200°F (-273°C to 650°C).
  • Offers 100% Lubricity throughout its texture.
  • Is inert, inorganic, non-toxic, non-distortive, non-corrosive and resistant to most fuels solvents. It is compatible with and enhances the performance of all oils and greases.
  • Resists carbon build-up due to its extremely low co-efficient of friction, less than half that of graphite, Moly (MoS2) and Teflon.
  • Molecularly bonds to all materials and platings and can only be eliminated by removing the bonded substrate.
  • No bakeout or heat curing is required for the application of Tungsten Disulfide (WS2).
What do you guys think?

IMG_2628.PNG

http://www.microsurfacecorp.com/amp/ws2_tungsten_disulfide.html

https://www.ws2coating.com/ws2dryfilmlubricant/

Last edited:
With dry you have to apply with 120lbs of air.

They sell it in a spray cans and it's reasonable and easier

Been wondering about this stuff for years and now more race engines are using it in internal parts with success.

Brock, Where do you suggest using this coating?? I have seen this coating around for about 2 years, but I only thought it was for things like bearing surfaces where there was a lot of high pressures. Could it be used as a coating on piston skirts? I dont think it might be an option for cylinder walls and for the rest , maybe it might be used in coating the TI rod or pin bearing surfaces instead of DLC.. Just some thoughts and questions!!
gtwitch in wyoming

There are quite a few areas that this can be used in my opinion.
All suspension parts with material that touches material to cause friction. The spider towers in the primary.

As for internal engine parts. I'll stick to the coating that came on pistons and the dlc that I use on Ti pins.

Back
Top Bottom