• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

unhappy with terra alps racing and ted

I totally agree with you Brock. There are very few aftermarket companies that have a good reputation. Now the toughest part is finding one. Thank God we have the internet and bad news travels rather quickly, so does good news.

Then, some are good for one thing and bad at another. Example, they may sell great parts for the Axys 800, and E tec 800. But they make carp for other stuff. So there is no trust. You cant just say, "x company is cool, go with them.

Someone has to be bold or rich enough to try it first. Then report. And hope they don't get sued or ganged up on when they say it's bad.

Same thing with car stuff. But in most cases there is a larger group of people to act as a buffer. So the whole process happens faster.

If you have time. Take a quick peak at this.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6640

This exploded, the company deflected and denied. But I guess too many of the boys from Jersey got loud enough. Lots of VW fans in Jersey so I assume it was them

The company doesn't sell exhaust systems now. Sad. Because they do make some quality stuff. But they are hard to trust overall. Irony is that the downpipes they sell are top notch. But expensive.

Last edited:
Toke sled out today

I put a head on with 0.052" squish and about 1/2 more cc , so compression ratio has dropped to 12.19:1

No det,I tried to make it det on groomed trails and temp at 140-145 f. Beat on it hard.

Only when I played " moron mode" were I was 8450-8500 rpm on a long 1/2 mile stretch at about 100 mph and let throttle snap back to 0% then get back into it a 1/2 second later it would det . It only did it twice. I tried to make this thing det . That was my point. Ps: I never do moron mode throttle positioning. I always ease in nice and ease out

Then I put in e mode and no det anywhere, even in moron mode

Just an update

Ted says he's making me a head .

Terra alps ted has been contacting me , I got his new head cover and he says he's cutting me some domes

This is a good thing as good news travels but bad travels faster

It's just the head and compression ratio that's giving me some headache. It's getting figured out .

My add on's are what I wanted but didn't quite get from Ted, not just a kit. Not a jab at anyone. I just do things the way I like . Doc and haulin are the same. Our stuff makes big hp and big torque, that you can't get with a shelf kit. We're guenea pigs I guess ? But we do get it working and pass on what works to you guys .

I have a shim, cast pistons , aggressive ported cylinder, head with bypass cat thermostat, y pipe , pipe, pcv and bully dog for the engine mods . Sometimes it takes a little tweaking to make it work and anyone that knows me, knows I don't quit until it's working 100%

It's about 98% now.

Put on 200 miles yesterday putting a beat down on it . My gearing and clutching is working really well so far . The P2 secondary is way more efficient then the tss 04 and gets more mph .

I had ted build an engine for me. I sent him my engine in june 2015 along with the money he needed to modify it. after that he was almost impossible to reach. he had my motor and my money. months went by and I had to beg for my engine back even threaten to drive there to get it 3000 miles for me. after 6 months he sent it back. untested. the engine did not run correctly when we got it on the dyno at jaws. greg suggested to ted a fix. ted didn't take his advise and went his own way the engine still didn't rum correctly. this brought me to april. very unhappy this ted and terra alps racing. I gave up on the engine. terra alps is a big mistake.

Well Tim your quite the story teller. Why wait so long to make up this story ??
June 2015 ? well we started the quotes in August , look its on your invoice, with deposits for engine parts.
The new stroker cranks I did for you and Heath were work in progress in Sept. look its on your invoice.
Once I got most of the parts done I was able to start working on the new head design with incorporated thermostat kits for you guys.
Engines were pretty much done by Xmas, typical for a new big bore stroker. In the busy season.
Threaten to drive out here to get your engine ?? Your engine showed up the next day, by all means I told you to drive out, that would be dumb, pass your engine on the state line of new York.
Impossible to reach, I probably talked to you more then Heath, and he was the one who started this engine package. I also talked to you while you were at races , racing the engine on Saturday nights. ( that's poor service!)
You complained about how the skiis were up in the air all the time had too much power. (Yea engine didn't run) .

You gave up on yourself, don't blame others.
Cheers Ted,
Terra Alps Racing inc.

So. I'm def.no getting Involved in this firecracker. But (no sarcasm) how much power did that engine make ? Was it a 901 if I remember correctly ?

The 901 didn't make that much more then the 840 of doc's. But, a few things needed to be tweaked to get it there .

Haulin now owns it and he's deciding in what to do with it

I'll chime in here as a guy that's run both a rev2 drop in and currantly running Ted's kit. My setup is a 13 SBA with a HO crank,v force 3r's,air ducts behind the filters in the hood removed. Air box shelf was gutted with the rev and currantly running the shelf with a added air horn with teds kit. I put 1400 miles on the rev and currantly have 35 miles on teds so it might be early to praise yet. Let's start off with Kelsey's. First thing I noticed when I received the kit was the heads cooling jackets. There is large ports all the way around the dome with big opening into the stat. Anyone that knows anything about water flow knows that water always takes the path of least resistance. The factory head directs the main water flow up the exhaust side and swirls it around the head to the stat. Kelsey's head in my eyes will create hot spots on the sides of the head. And ted said the same thing. The pistons I got were worsners and the first batch had blemishes. Sent them back and got another set. That set the wrist pins didn't fit worth shit. I should have sent them back too but ended up running them. I put this kit and crank in the fall of 14 so I was a guinee pig with the crank as the axys's had'ent even hit the snow yet and Kelsey had no experience with the HO engine. I bought the recommended rooster weights(pcs of shit) and loaded the heal heavy. Sled did seem to pull hard but it also had been 8 months since I rode it factory. The sled made a 600 sound torquey. Quick reving and had a really tight power band of 8400-8500. Well I hate heel heavy weights for my riding. I ended up running 10-68's put had to run a 120-330 spring. Then I had to run a 58-40 helix with a 155-222 spring to try and make it work half ass like I wanted it to. Just about every time I rode I screwed with the clutching because I couldn't find the happy medium I wanted. To make it work i had to hit that 8500 mark instantanisly I hit the flipper than it would hit the rev limiter any time I started to wheelie. I also played with different gear ratio's from a 23-40 to 22-40 on a cobra track. I just never was happy and then every ride I would have to shut the sled off at least once because of DET. Thankfully I had a injector issue and had to do a tear down. I do give Kelsey props because the pistons did spec out completely round still.

Now on to Ted's. I've talked to him many times by email and he has called me when I said to. It's international for me. He has been great on this respect. Always replied the same day, even late at night. Now we have had kind of a pissing match about time to receive my products. There was a issue with my card going through because of International and a holiday that ate up 3 days but it did take over 3 weeks to get my stuff. This is my only grip with him. Now onto the good stuff. The domes look really nice. They are actually a true bowl and just look efficient compared to the rev. The water jacket design also looks more efficient. I am very pleased with the head. The pistons are cast and are of very good quality. The skirts seem a little thin for a piston eater engine but I have to see how that pans out. There's another thing I like about them but don't know how much I should get in depth about them. Let's just say I like the size. I also agured out the holes on the coil pickup on the stator to gain 1.5 to 2 degrees of timing advance. My PCV doesn't have ignition. I switched tracks to a 1.6 cobra and geared to 22-41 along with adding a slp torque link. For clutching I kept the 10-68's put the factory 120-310 back in and went back to stock secondary 64-42 and 120-200 spring. I should mention I also started running klotz octane booster at a one ounce per gallon ratio. First thing I noticed was the sled felt good again and ripped but was hitting that 8400-8500 mark that I tried so hard to get with all that bullshit changes on the rev kit. Then I slapped in a set of 10-70's and it really started pulling with good all around performance on off throttle. Rev's are still a little high bouncing around 8200-8350. I probably could pull a 66-44 helix with a 140-220 spring. I have to get more riding time in but this is power I can feel and see by the clutching. So far I am extremely pleased but some miles are needed.

The dates are off when me ,Heath and Tim started with our stuff Ted? I can prove it with my bank draft / down payment. I know the axys was new when we all started this and

" no one had anything for it yet"

. But waiting 5-6 months was my beef and not returning messages . In no way am I saying Ted's stuff doesn't work, it's his personality and stubbornness that hurts his business. He needs a PR manager .

He is helping me now.

Customer support is EVERYTHING. If a business doesn't have that then it will do poorly .

Enough of that.

I'll say this in Ted's defense.

The stuff Ted makes is top notch. I can't argue that.
Mine needs to be tweaked a little because it's aggressively ported with a pipe that can take this. No one else has this out there . I do. So a little tweaking with the head will get it there. It's an animal that shows on dyno and out in the field . There is no other kit out there without stroking or big bore(not the way to do it without stroking it) that's gets +13 ft lbs of torque at a 12.7:1 afr .Those two combinations are hard to get.

I don't wanna turn this into a a bash fest . I'm just telling the plain truth.

I am willing to help your cause.... Feel free to give me a call and we can see what we can work out..
Kels. I had your direct replacement pistons installed in my axys. They lasted 107 miles and just seized up. My buddy had some installed on his 15 axys and has yet to make it 10 miles. His seized up also. And his did it twice. I put oil in the gas and put it back in break in mode. What's going on with your pistons??

Back
Top Bottom