• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Whirling/Whining Noise from Chaincase?

JohnnyBravo

I updated the gearing to 24/40 w/70P chain. This gave a 1/4" slack. I also exchanged out the stock plastic tensioner with the IQr roller tensioner. Rode the sled yesterday and noticed upon deceleration, before I even applied the brake, a whining noise coming the chaincase. Although not terribly annoying, it's there and noticeable. I have a feeling this is normal, correct? Is it just the chain slamming up against the tensioner when I let off the gas or is something else going on?

I updated the gearing to 24/40 w/70P chain. This gave a 1/4" slack. I also exchanged out the stock plastic tensioner with the IQr roller tensioner. Rode the sled yesterday and noticed upon deceleration, before I even applied the brake, a whining noise coming the chaincase. Although not terribly annoying, it's there and noticeable. I have a feeling this is normal, correct? Is it just the chain slamming up against the tensioner when I let off the gas or is something else going on?
Comeing fromy the iqr tensioner, normal.

As flash said, it's from the iqr tensioner.
I like to soak it in synthetic chain case oil for a day and install.

If you installed it dry, it takes a bit for the oil to find its way to lubricate.

Thanks all. I figured it was normal. Unfortunately Brock, I didn't soak in oil. Installed it dry. Over time will the noise decrease any as the oil works it way to lube?

It might quiet down some but the wine is normal. That's why they come with the plastic one it's quiet

Back
Top Bottom