• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

17 Polaris changes they didn't mention

coryatver

They have several product line improvements made over the 15 & 16's.

Putting solid bogie wheels between the rails.
Updated the start/idle/low end fuel mapping and broaden the tps air gap low end voltage range. Warm up mode with power reduction until temp >60*.
They dropped the capacitor numbers down to 3, with the oil pump having its own dedicate capacitor.
Wire harness covering upgrade with the connectors on the crossbar(I believe to the ev controller) packed with dielectric grease and I believe covered.
Coolant caps across the sled and orv lines.
Same oil bottle retainer across the sled lines.
Upgraded the rts spring retainer tolerances and put a protective sleeve on the body.
Putting a cover back on the fts again.
The new MC gauge has several new features over the old base gauge

Dam thats alot more stuff then i thought. Already getting the solid wheels and bully dog so that changes the tune on it as well. And doing my shocks. So i guess ill almost have a 2017 lol

Tps and fuel map down low doesn't surprise me.
A wider range of tps is needed.
The stock fuel map is less to be desired too.
They should change the t map and make it separate. Seperate the thermostat reading from air box intake on the t map sensor.. Leave the intake reading were it is and put temp reading near air intakes just under handle bars. This would eliminate under hood heat causing problems. (I got a fix for that :D)
Improvements are good though. At least their improving the product. But I do wish Polaris would compensate owners of older sleds that don't have this. I know it's not critical like pistons or crank, just a suggestion.

I think the new map is available for the 16s there is a bulletin out for a reflash. That might be something different than what there talking about for the 17s though? The 16s had problems with warm starts and I think it is part of the fix for that. I had to hold mine wide open a few times for it to start up.

The 16s had problems with warm starts and I think it is part of the fix for that. I had to hold mine wide open a few times for it to start up.

The fuel mapping at idle needed to be changed for that.
All stock maps on doo and poo are bad. The ecu is so sophisticated and that can be a bad thing sometimes.

Tps and fuel map down low doesn't surprise me.
A wider range of tps is needed.
The stock fuel map is less to be desired too.
They should change the t map and make it separate. Seperate the thermostat reading from air box intake on the t map sensor.. Leave the intake reading were it is and put temp reading near air intakes just under handle bars. This would eliminate under hood heat causing problems. (I got a fix for that :D)
Improvements are good though. At least their improving the product. But I do wish Polaris would compensate owners of older sleds that don't have this. I know it's not critical like pistons or crank, just a suggestion.

Yes times 100

They have several product line improvements made over the 15 & 16's.

Putting solid bogie wheels between the rails.
Updated the start/idle/low end fuel mapping and broaden the tps air gap low end voltage range. Warm up mode with power reduction until temp >60*.
They dropped the capacitor numbers down to 3, with the oil pump having its own dedicate capacitor.
Wire harness covering upgrade with the connectors on the crossbar(I believe to the ev controller) packed with dielectric grease and I believe covered.
Coolant caps across the sled and orv lines.
Same oil bottle retainer across the sled lines.
Upgraded the rts spring retainer tolerances and put a protective sleeve on the body.
Putting a cover back on the fts again.
The new MC gauge has several new features over the old base gauge
Thanks for the info Cory. Div20 Good to know.

I think the new map is available for the 16s there is a bulletin out for a reflash. That might be something different than what there talking about for the 17s though? The 16s had problems with warm starts and I think it is part of the fix for that. I had to hold mine wide open a few times for it to start up.

Hey corey.....spoke to my dealer today and he said not all 2016's are affected here. Depends on VIN #. Mine is not included in this bulletin, however, I still do have the warm start issues.

Hey corey.....spoke to my dealer today and he said not all 2016's are affected here. Depends on VIN #. Mine is not included in this bulletin, however, I still do have the warm start issues.

Yeah but you can still get your ECU reflashed. IT is stupid how they do it all 16s are affected really becuase the TPS is different than 15 and they just used the same map and makes it start hard also you get the cold start protection with the new map. Tell your dealer to do it it should be free mine is doing it to mine when I get it in there. But my dealer doesn't make a big deal about hooking up digital wrench they do it anytime I ask for free it really is not a big deal as some dealers make it out to be I guess some are afraid of it.

Last edited:
Does this apply to '16 800's only or are the 600's included also?

nothing at all to do with the 600s. 2016 800 HO sleds only. Here is the bulletin:

Team Tip S-16-02-03 was issued by Polaris February 25, 2016

A Team Tip is intended for Polaris trained technicians to help them solve problems involving Polaris products. It is not a recall, nor does it describe actions that must be performed on every sled. This tip helps with troubleshooting Low Engine Idle and Inconsistent starting/restarting problems on MY16 800HO snowmobiles. The problem is more common at high versus low elevations.
I think this background info will be helpful:

One of the specs for the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is that the ECU and Digital Wrench should read a certain DC voltage when the throttle plates are at the idle position. We are only concerned with 800HO specs right now.

. TPS IDLE Setting Voltage for 800HO
MY15 0.913 +- 0.01 Volts DC
MY16 0.940 +- 0.01 Volts DC
---
The programming for MY16 800HO, has to work properly with this different specification for TPS voltage at idle. Apparently the current MY16 800HO programming was not doing that for all sleds. Because of that, Polaris is releasing a new REFLASH of programming, first available March 2, 2016. This is designed to work properly with TPS idle specs between 0.920 - 0.947 Volts DC.

For MY16 800HO, that have been having the problems of low engine idle speed, poor cold starting or poor restarting when warm, technicians are encouraged to install MY16 reflash calibration 4016413. Follow these steps.

A. Make sure the Version 3.7 03/02/2016 Digital Wrench update is installed on the Digital Wrench laptop.

B. Do the reflash procedure from the special tests menu of Digital Wrench.

C. If not done previously, use Digital Wrench to verify/reset the TPS idle setting to spec. (0.940 +- 0.01 volts DC)

This tip cautions: DO NOT use a 5volt TPS test tool, it will show different voltages than what Digital Wrench reports from the ECU. This is because of a difference in Analog/Digital Conversion when done by the ECU.

D. Test ride to confirm that the above problems with idle speed and/or starting have been resolved. If not, generate a Digital Wrench service report at idle speed and contact Polaris tech support.

===========================================

NEW! Cold Engine Protection Mode with new reflash.

This new ECU calibration 4016413 also has a new cold engine protection mode to limit power (and therefore RPM). There was NO cold engine protection mode previously. Here's the rules:

.. When Engine coolant temperature is
10F (-12C) or colder, E-VES in low position only
59F (15C) or colder, E-VES in low or mid position
60F or above, normal operation of E-VES

IF equipped with a PIDD gauge, when the Cold Engine Protection Mode is limiting E-VES position, a Red Band will be shown on the bottom of the screen. Shown on this red band: "Warning Cold Engine"

Back
Top Bottom