• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

1999 polaris indy 500 XC gas leak ???

Olbaidhh

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1999 polaris indy 500 XC
I have a 1999 polaris indy 500 XC that will not leak a bit of gas when stored or running in the garage... but on the trail it leaks gas like a sieve , not out of the carbs or into the cylinders ... any ideas?

Probably a leaking fuel line somewhere. The ethanol gas eats the lines in the older machines and turns them hard and brittle, they then crack and leak.

Why then does it not have a drop in the garage sitting for weeks or idling? That is what I cannot figure out.... does this model just eat the gas if the carbs are off could that be it.... but it doesn't run like its rich at all???

Could only be weeping until the vibration of the machine makes it worse, or its on the pressure side of the fuel pump. This is one you where are going to have to pull the airbox out of the way and start looking.
If its still the original fuel lines, I can guarantee thats whats failing as they get rock hard with age and start cracking everywhere.

Could only be weeping until the vibration of the machine makes it worse, or its on the pressure side of the fuel pump. This is one you where are going to have to pull the airbox out of the way and start looking.
If its still the original fuel lines, I can guarantee thats whats failing as they get rock hard with age and start cracking everywhere.
Ya but I start it in the garage and nothing leaking on the pavement or that just is not enough to get it to leak enough it has to be ridden and bounced around, must be the issue. What about a crack in the tank but higher up when its full or coming out of the overfill ? That is kind of what it seems like its doing. The 2003 XC 600 I have only needs gas one time for every 2 stops of the 500XC

There is a hose barb the fuel supply line connects to around 3/4 up the fuel tank. It is sealed by a rubber grommet the barb pushes thru. That could be failing and be leaking. There is also the tank vent at the top of the tank that has a vent hose that runs up the steering shaft.
Like I said above, you are going to have to pull the airbox and start looking around for signs of a leak, even lift up the rear bumper and get the fuel sloshing around in the tank.
All that rubber hose and seals in the system are very old now and were never intended for ethanol fuels, so likely dry rotted and failing. I had to rebuild the entire fuel system in my 2000 xc700 a few years ago, surprised yours lasted this long. The intank pickup hose is known to crack and fall off so you should think about just replacing it all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom