• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2017 Assualt owners a ? for trail users.

Nope , not yet. Any midwest riders out there with miles on there 17 ?
If they don't it's there own fault. Vilas was fine between xmas and new years and got better till the 16th or so

Spent 2.5 days in Quebec breaking in and tweaking the sled. Ended up with snow conditions adding a full turn on FTS and a turn on IFS. Clickers all still at 1 from soft. Trail ride really good, was pushed some by a Doo XRS but still didn't hold him up any. Pushed in a few tight corners but overall handled well for what I was looking for. Early AM frozen fresh groom was worse than afternoon trail pack. Chatterbumps were good and big hitters were good too. Very happy all in all, banged out 700+ miles.Changing up clutch this week. Thanks for help and advice guys, it definitely cuts the guesswork down.

OK, we got a group and 3 new assaults in them ,so it's good to compare. 2 of these guys came from the Doo camp.

We all have about 1500 miles know. Suspensions are well broken in. We all have different skis too. One has stock, I have C&A and another split rails.
This is were were at . We don't like the factory wheeling to the moon. It's fun but it don't corner worth the shit. On hole shots with our studs we lift so high it pulls to right or left. You pick,lol
We had enough of this as we like to rail corners riding and lift the skis a little . We have a great 2016 pro s switch that set up awesome, rails the corners and lifts skis .( spent lots of time dailing in suspension)
So, sleds all sitting in the shop, we started to measure differences from the new assault to pro s switch( one that rails and handles)Bunch of things stood out. Higher front end on assault vs pro s, attack angle of track,limiter strap, etc .

We're all studded well.

We pulled front limiter strap on all sleds so when rider is on it it was snug. Did this to all three assaults. Drilled extra holes one inch apart too(trail change). All limiter straps were the same length. It ended up being ,so the ends of limiter straps were over lapping 1/4-1/2" Fts was all at one inch(helps attack angle)
Ifs springs we could only get to 3 1/8"-3 3/16" without it chattering being loose(stock assault ifs springs) Still wasn't low enough. Sat an 1-1 1/4" higher then the pro s. So we toke pro s springs off and put on assault, had it's spring pressure as loose as it can be and bam, over 1/2-3/4" lower now.

All shocks were set low spring pressure and 3 clks on all. Attack angle was way better for speed now, and lower in the front.

We went out and tested our new set ups. Skis didn't lift to the moon on hard pack hole shots now and went straight. Talking corners better now too. But, we were spinning off the line a little now cuz we pulled limiter strap down to much. (Worth a try) good thing we bring tools with us,lol. We changed limiter straps so that both ends are about 7/8" apart from being over lapped and tried again.
Hole shots on hard pack lift skis about a foot and goes straight on every hole shot. We're loving it. Tried trail riding. It's awesome now, it rails the corners, comes out, hammer on it and still lifts the skis . Did this all day. Different trails to racing. Only tweaked the ifs springs now that there pro s springs. I have mine on 3", and frezty is about 3 1/8" ( different skis)

So, we lowered assaults by 3/4" at front. Pulled limiter, set fts at 1", rear at soft. All are clkrs are from 3-5 now, give or take.

So, to wrap this story up. Lower front ifs by using pro s springs, have limiter strap so there's one inch gap between two ends(studs only), fts at 1", rear torsion on soft.

Now are assaults railing the corners ,hole shots straight and still lifts the skis. It's working awesome for us .

Just sharing

Dave - not sure if you saw a couple of my posts on HCS, but I made a couple comments/posts relating to my experience with the SBA last weekend. Like you, I have zero interest in off trail & I still think that sled is fully capable of 100% trail use. You, coming from a Switchback, would be surprised at how similar the SBA handles the trails compared to your SB.

Yes I did Chris. Found it interesting. I was at my dealer yesterday due to a bottom chaincase bearing failure from last weekends ride in St Germain.. I mentioned I would like to see a 129-136 IGX rear skid sled. He just smiled. One can hope???

Yes I did Chris. Found it interesting. I was at my dealer yesterday due to a bottom chaincase bearing failure from last weekends ride in St Germain.. I mentioned I would like to see a 129-136 IGX rear skid sled. He just smiled. One can hope???
Funny you mention that. I was at the start of the I-600/I-500 last Wednesday and spoke with Alex Hetteen. I told him that the ideal Polaris trail sled would be an 800 H.O. in an Indy chassis with Walker shocks, 129 skid with IGX suspension. Damn those guys are really good at not showing any change in expression on their faces. Dunno

Why don't you guys like the PRO-XC rear end? Blow my mind everytime I ride it. My sled Saturday on Tug hill It ate up 5 foot deep whooped out trail harder I hit them even better it did. No way a IGX suspension would handle it the way the pro xc does. IGX compromises between off trail and on

Back
Top Bottom