• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Axys beating 850 doo's

I tried swapping belts from oem, gates, and dayco and no difference in rpms. That was on my indy dan primary.
Im not liking that clutch. Only pulling 66 grams with it. I bolt on my stock spare primary without overdrive and i pulled 68 gram polaris weights and 8,400 rpms on a short pull. Never could do that with ny indy dan clutch no mater what i changed. Unfortunately i had some bad luck and a bolt fell into my clutches destroying my spare stock primary and my team tied secondary. So when i was racing the 850s i had the indy dan clutch on with pretty much a stock secondary. Felt like a turd up top. Still could only pull 66 grams of weight and only hit 8250. Im getting another stock primary tmrw and a team teid secondary and just put in what i had on friday at st germain and if it rips again that indy dan clutch is going in the garbage
I'm totally unbiased here, but I am just curious as to what you think he did to your clutch that fucked it up? Does he machine the spring pocket deeper in the spider or the cover so the spring doesn't bind? Maybe he should warn people that his machining will change your clutching setup so that you may have to experiment with springs and weights again...

I would not get totally caught up in how heavy a weight you can pull with in reason. Now days there are so many weight profiles with the mass located differently, and unlimited helix and springs combinations. now if you cant pull the exact setup you have been able to in the past then you may have an issue. Get the rpm where it needs to be then load it harder until the performance drops off testing against timers and radar.

The problem is i couldnt pull the same setup i had last year. Now just tested this weekend with a second all stock primary and man did the rpms come back. Had to put in 70 gram weights and still reving to 8,400-8,500 on long pulls. Same setup in my other stock clutch same good rpms. Now put this setup in indy dan clutch rpms down to 8,000. Idk what he did but rpms come up on 2 stock clutches vs his something he did isnt right. Sled just rips now. Picked up 8-9 mph to end as well. Gonna regear as its fully shifting out now and rpms are good . 1.74 in it now.

Did you have that delrin washer under the primary spring? I wonder if that is causing coil bind and not allowing the Indy Dan clutch to fully shift out?? Not sure, reaching for straws at this point....

The problem is i couldnt pull the same setup i had last year. Now just tested this weekend with a second all stock primary and man did the rpms come back. Had to put in 70 gram weights and still reving to 8,400-8,500 on long pulls. Same setup in my other stock clutch same good rpms. Now put this setup in indy dan clutch rpms down to 8,000. Idk what he did but rpms come up on 2 stock clutches vs his something he did isnt right. Sled just rips now. Picked up 8-9 mph to end as well. Gonna regear as its fully shifting out now and rpms are good . 1.74 in it now.

Last edited:
I had it in, had it out, tried 6 different primary springs lol. Nothing seemed to work. Now just my simple setup i thru together works perfect. Idk what exactly he machines

I experienced this same thing on my '12 pro r.
Sled ran great, always. Best I seen stock was 112 mph.
Dan balances and whatever to that clutch, and it did run smoother, but I could never get above 106 after that.
After a bunch of change this and change that, gears, weights, springs, Gabe's kits, I got back to 109.

I wish I hadn't touched it.

This is by no means a stab at Dan, as I know he is far more knowledgeable than most anybody, but whatever he did,. Didn't work for my sled.

Maybe I had a Wednesday sled that was fast from the factory.

I would like to line up my stock sled against some guys with mods to see the real gains before going thru all that I did on my '12.

Do you run the stock belt or a wider belt with fans modifications?

I had it in, had it out, tried 6 different primary springs lol. Nothing seemed to work. Now just my simple setup i thru together works perfect. Idk what exactly he machines
proS800 I am having the same issue with the overdriving. I have two sleds set up identical with bmp pipe, heads and bulldog stage 2. The 17 assault pulls 8400-8500 consistently. My 17 proS le I can only get 8300 with 67.5 grams of wt. I am going to call them tomorrow. It pulls great until on top where it won't pull up to 8450 where I want it.

Brock,

Tell me about the impact that changing my fts to maximum preload has on race performance (primarily fast trail, corner to corner), 15' 800 rush?
I feel like I need the additional spring load, even though I'm struggling to get the front end dialed in since

It sounds to me like he may be changing roller dia. Or is really changing the spider shimming to get that much flyweight leverage change. Maybe he he's trueing the sheeted enough to do this? Could someone with these setups caliper the rollers or take the spider off and check?

It's not the overdrive that's making Indy dans system not work. Simply machining an overdrive doesn't hurt anything but do overdrive.
He machined the clutch sheave faces and I don't agree with that. Not here to dis what he does, but machining the clutch sheave faces because he says he's "truing them" is wrong. The same stock surface can't be duplicated as Polaris does from factory. My discussion with him on clutch sheave degrees on Axys 800 models was in disagreement. I told him its a straight degree 13.5, so 27 degrees straight total. He says it's a dual degree??? That's the old pro r and more., that's a 24 to 28 degree dual degree.

He machines the spider and the clutch sheave faces that's causing your lower rpm issues. You can do something about spider. Not the machining of the clutch sheave faces. It's to smooth. = belt heat = slippage =rpm loss .

When I sent mine to Indy Dan he did machine the overdrive but I made sure he cuts it for the axys straight 27 degree. Haven't seen a problem with mine, I never had a pro r but since it has a 24-28 degree you should be able to see it???or maybe lay a straight piece of metal and see if he cut a step. He also didn't cut the weight pads or the spider thank god. Definitely call him and maybe he can pull up a file or something, hopefully he didn't make a mistake

Align clutches

Belt to sheave at 0.015"

Spider to tower 0.003"

Machine primary for overdrive

Let secondary float 0.120", 0.060" in from tool,0.060" out from tool.

Slp torque strap

Adjust belt deflection so track spins on stand ,but doesn't squeal while idling.

Let track hang 5/8" freely

Lower fts to one inch, pull limiter tight when ur sitting on it and back off one inch (need someone to help do this )

1.70 ratios with ripsaw or cobra

1.80 ratios with 1.75" and 2" lugs

Softest suspension you can handle with light ski pressure, but can turn with shapers

Chain looser then stock spec

This is some
brock when you give the secondary measurement of .120" , that's the total amount of float from the secondary on the jackshaft correct? mine stock is only .071" total . pushed all the way in measured from outer sheeve to bolt head. so I should be removing appropriate amount of shims from inside to get the .120" as long as secondary doesn't rub on the inside , correct? excuse my dumbness, what does this help, having the secondary float this much?

Back
Top Bottom