• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

AXYS exhaust system

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
IMAG0486_1 (1).jpg
IMAG0476 (1).jpg
IMAG0471_1 (1).jpg
IMAG0480.jpg

The exhaust system on some model axys's are not quite round. You have to remember that these exhaust systems are mass produced for Polaris then sent to them. When the workers put it on the sled during assembly,they don't check to see any to see if the holes are perfectly round and that's probably not part of their job any ways.

Seems like a few of these need tighter QC in my opinion. The holes should be checked to be somewhat perfectly round before assembly on sled.

A imperfect seal has a huge effect on the sled and usully always makes it down in power cause of this.This was all found out on the dyno with pipe temp showing on digital wrench.

The pipe female outlet on this particular model were it joins to y pipe was out of round more than 0.060" (about a 1/16"). This is a big deal as the seal cannot make up for this amount of a gap. If it was out maybe 0.020" or under the seal along with 1500f pipe sealant can probably seal it.

Also, the female outlet on the muffler were it excepts the pipe had a bad weld from factory that distorted the hole over 0.050" out of round.

These were all fixed and the seal is proper.

Without a proper seal the exhaust system isn't doing it's job. This one showing couldn't build up pipe heat on the dyno, and when you can't build up pipe heat, there is no power.

Check yours, the obvious signs are black oil inside your belly pan.

View attachment 329 View attachment 330 View attachment 331 View attachment 332

The exhaust system on some model axys's are not quite round. You have to remember that these exhaust systems are mass produced for Polaris then sent to them. When the workers put it on the sled during assembly,they don't check to see any to see if the holes are perfectly round and that's probably not part of their job any ways.

Seems like a few of these need tighter QC in my opinion. The holes should be checked to be somewhat perfectly round before assembly on sled.

A imperfect seal has a huge effect on the sled and usully always makes it down in power cause of this.This was all found out on the dyno with pipe temp showing on digital wrench.

The pipe female outlet on this particular model were it joins to y pipe was out of round more than 0.060" (about a 1/16"). This is a big deal as the seal cannot make up for this amount of a gap. If it was out maybe 0.020" or under the seal along with 1500f pipe sealant can probably seal it.

Also, the female outlet on the muffler were it excepts the pipe had a bad weld from factory that distorted the hole over 0.050" out of round.

These were all fixed and the seal is proper.

Without a proper seal the exhaust system isn't doing it's job. This one showing couldn't build up pipe heat on the dyno, and when you can't build up pipe heat, there is no power.

Check yours, the obvious signs are black oil inside your belly pan.
Thanks for the heads up Brock. Looked at mine the other day and have a small amount of oil compared to yours. Good find.

Same here, I have zero oil now, but I seen it right away and brought it in. But since they said it was normal I figured it was fine, and luckily it was, cause now mine is clean as could be!

Same here, I have zero oil now, but I seen it right away and brought it in. But since they said it was normal I figured it was fine, and luckily it was, cause now mine is clean as could be!
If it's clean then you have good exhaust seal. Any amount of oil spatter is no good and needs to be looked at.

You seem to know your stuff! And I think my clutching is pretty close to spot on, but I would like some input on gearing and some other stuff. Now I don't know if you have the time to explain it to me, but I would love to learn a little. I have watched tons of you tube videos and understand, I just want to improve my sled to its maximum performance!

You seem to know your stuff! And I think my clutching is pretty close to spot on, but I would like some input on gearing and some other stuff. Now I don't know if you have the time to explain it to me, but I would love to learn a little. I have watched tons of you tube videos and understand, I just want to improve my sled to its maximum performance!
Clutching can be complex and simple all in one.
key things to remember are ,weights and helix are the main tuning tools in clutching.
springs are for fine tuning clutching.

Get your proper weight and helix, then fine tune it with springs.

All this of course to your best hp in the best rpm range.

Hope that helped Rockon

any ex. leak means power lost. and on carb' sleds with poor fitting air boxes it can run rich also. this is just common sense. I find older sleds with terrible ex. leaks all the time. worn out dounts etc. this is a big deal. if you have oil leaking out of your pipe get it corrected. these new sleds with a pipe temp sensor can't not have a poor seal. just imagine if we did have a wide band 02 sensor? a lot of poor running sleds would be the result.

any ex. leak means power lost. and on carb' sleds with poor fitting air boxes it can run rich also. this is just common sense. I find older sleds with terrible ex. leaks all the time. worn out dounts etc. this is a big deal. if you have oil leaking out of your pipe get it corrected. these new sleds with a pipe temp sensor can't not have a poor seal. just imagine if we did have a wide band 02 sensor? a lot of poor running sleds would be the result.

Yes 100% correct and that's why im posting the exhaust info. ITS A BIG DEAL TO SEAL!Rockon
This is on many of many of sleds I've seen this year. Bellypan with oil. The pipe fitting y-pipe is oblonged and not perfectly round as I mentioned. Those seals polaris supplies won't make up for an oblonged fitting that's 0.060" out of round(maybe 0.020").
Check your pipe fittings

Good to see all you guys over here! (Just joined today... BigFuse clued me in).

This is good info... I pulled my sled apart last week for a track swap and found no exhaust leaks. My sled runs really good and I intend on keeping it that way!

Mal

Good to see all you guys over here! (Just joined today... BigFuse clued me in).

This is good info... I pulled my sled apart last week for a track swap and found no exhaust leaks. My sled runs really good and I intend on keeping it that way!

Mal

Welcome to the site!!

I ordered the SLP stage 2 kit, and it fit real tight, right up against my bumper. Well went riding and the bung had came apart and had a hole in it. So SLP sent me a brand new one and it cleared the bumper by around a 1/4 inch or more. So no rub now. So probably new batch.

I ordered the SLP stage 2 kit, and it fit real tight, right up against my bumper. Well went riding and the bung had came apart and had a hole in it. So SLP sent me a brand new one and it cleared the bumper by around a 1/4 inch or more. So no rub now. So probably new batch.
SLP is a great company imo. When the pipe on my nephew's 09 Dragon split all that I had to do for SLP was send a picture of the pipe, smash it to pieces, and within a week there was a new pipe at my nephew's door.

Just curious if you did any miles with the stage 2 kit?
I'm thinking about this and or stage 3 for mine...

Ya I have over 1500 miles with it. I was also thinking about the head and bully dog as well. But for 1000 dollars and maybe 3-5 HP didn't think it was worth it. But the stage 2 bumped me up 6 sleds. So a huge gain! Plus it sounds great! Almost sounds stock until WOT.

SLP is a great company imo. When the pipe on my nephew's 09 Dragon split all that I had to do for SLP was send a picture of the pipe, smash it to pieces, and within a week there was a new pipe at my nephew's door.

I noticed mine at the dealer. And took a picture there and sent it to SLP. Within 2 minutes of me sending the picture to them he called me back and apologized and sent it to the dealer next day delivery. So yes SLP are great to work with and do a lot of testing. I have used them for years! Great luck with them!!

Good to know, thanks for the info, I want as much gain as possible, my riding partner checked a new etec and I don't want to see his taillight!

Good to know, thanks for the info, I want as much gain as possible, my riding partner checked a new etec and I don't want to see his taillight!

Well I'm 250 dressed, and when mine was stock, we went back and forth from me winning one then he would win one. It was who got the jump out of the hole. But one thing. When I got the lead he never caught up, and I have a Pro X with a 1.75 track. When he got the jump I would gain on him. So I haven't raced a e tec since my stage 2. But I would think with a 6 sled gain the e tec wouldn't be a problem, unless he does mods too. Man it never ends...lol...but I'm sure a lighter rider would be able to beat a 800 e tec.

I'm probably 225 dressed and went back and forth with him all this past season on his modded 2011 etec, although he would pass me at about 98 mph.
For the most part it was all about who hooked up better from the start.

I'm probably 225 dressed and went back and forth with him all this past season on his modded 2011 etec, although he would pass me at about 98 mph.
For the most part it was all about who hooked up better from the start.

That's how it goes, who ever gets the good take off wins. That's why it's hard to say which ones faster. And it be a true statement. 800 e tec's are fast, I hate to say it, but they go! I think with some good mods and great clutch set up you should be fine! Remember there is always someone faster...lol...I found it weird that I could keep right on his bumper through the trails, and he was pushing it as hard as he could he said, and my Pro X had no problem keeping up. In fact it was fairly easy. I also think the Axys rides a lot nicer. And corner to corner I had better mid power.

Back
Top Bottom