• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Changing my studs and pattern. What do you think?

MoreHP

Now that October is around the corner and hoping they'll be good deals at the shows, I want to buy 1.44 triggers and take out my 1.325 gold diggers. Right now I have three in the center (1 single and 1 double. 3-3-3-3). I was thinking of a few options, one-use the same holes and backers, two-get rid of the double backers and use the outer hole for a single backer and make a 2-4-2-4 using the outer belt (I will have to buy more single backers), three- get rid of the single backer in the center and move it to the outer belt making it a 3-3-3-3, and four- get rid of the double backers and use the outer hole for a single backer and install a single in the outer belt making it a 3-3-3-3 again but use all singles (I will have to buy more single backers). I want this monster to hook up!!!RockonSled2

I don't know your pattern , but the triggers or hornets are best for hook and to save weight, use stud stars instead of long t nuts
Haulin has over 5000 miles on triggers and stud stars with only one or two replaced . Very durable studs and they hook.

If you wanna hook hard it's gotta be 1/2" over lug at least.
3/8" over lug is ok, but half inch is better as the stud wears down a little anyways.

Just my opinion

Yeah I made that mistake. Studs barely grab. This is the pattern that I have now. Starting to take the studs out

Attachments

• IMG_6282.JPG
    IMG_6282.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_6285.JPG
    IMG_6285.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_6286.JPG
    IMG_6286.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_6287.JPG
    IMG_6287.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 480
IF YOU WANT IT TO HOOK, GET LONGER STUDS.. YOUR ONLY DOWN FALL MAY BE SOME PUSH IN THE TURNS, BUT THATS WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO SACRIFICE FOR HOOKING AND BOOKING BRO. PUT OLDER STYLE EXTRA 10 HYFAX IN THE TUNNEL COOLERS AND PIN THEM.YOU NEED ABOUT 3/8 EXTRA SO THE LONGER TIPS WONT HIT THE TUNNEL. MY SWITCHBACK HAS BEEN LIKE THIS SENCE DAY ONE, 1.640 HORNETS AND 1.860 CHISSELS WONT HIT. 1-1/4 TRACK..IF YOUR GOING TO USE DOUBLES I ONLY LIKE THEM IN THE CENTER AREA OF THE TRACK SO THE HEADS ARE NOT ROLLING OVER THE DRIVERS,JUST ME LESS VIBRATION, MORE SPEED AND SMOOTHER.

IF YOU WANT IT TO HOOK, GET LONGER STUDS.. YOUR ONLY DOWN FALL MAY BE SOME PUSH IN THE TURNS, BUT THATS WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO SACRIFICE FOR HOOKING AND BOOKING BRO. PUT OLDER STYLE EXTRA 10 HYFAX IN THE TUNNEL COOLERS AND PIN THEM.YOU NEED ABOUT 3/8 EXTRA SO THE LONGER TIPS WONT HIT THE TUNNEL. MY SWITCHBACK HAS BEEN LIKE THIS SENCE DAY ONE, 1.640 HORNETS AND 1.860 CHISSELS WONT HIT. 1-1/4 TRACK..IF YOUR GOING TO USE DOUBLES I ONLY LIKE THEM IN THE CENTER AREA OF THE TRACK SO THE HEADS ARE NOT ROLLING OVER THE DRIVERS,JUST ME LESS VIBRATION, MORE SPEED AND SMOOTHER.
I'm going to get rid of the doubles. I'll just have 1 open drilled hole per bar which should be okay. Go with the 2-4-2-4, or 3-3-3-3, using the outside. Great advice, thanks!

IMHO - I would rather see you use the dbl backers on the inside and forgo the outsides completely. Certainly easier on the track when you avoid the outside belts. But they will certainly help your bite no doubt.

I use 3 in each bar, all singles, I use Lake racers 1.500 tho, hooks like a bitch, none on the outside.

This is the pattern I ran last year. 144 1.44 triggers in a 2 4 2 4 pattern with stud stars. This Worked great for fast trail.
But when it came to hookin and bookin Doc's set up works better but you will feel push in the corners when trail riding. So you have to decide which type of riding really matters most to you .Dragging your buddies on the lake or railing the corners on the trail. It's give and take depending on the style you ride.
image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    334.9 KB · Views: 549
Do you have any pictures? It's must look mean with the chissels

if you follow this link it will show you my studs at start of the season and end of season.
also another pic of longer studs with stud stars.
https://polarisstarpower.com/threads/2016-800-axys-build.260/
https://polarisstarpower.com/threads/2016-800-axys-build.260/page-6
https://polarisstarpower.com/threads/2016-800-axys-build.260/page-5
Hopefully the show has the triggers and stud stars. Have you gone to big east power sports show before? It's about 3 hours away from me so hopefully it's a good show. Never been there before

Do you have any pictures? It's must look mean with the chissels

I like to mix chisels with ice studs yes
I'll take a pic when I'm done.
I have a cobra and am installing 1.630" triggers and 1.630" chisels as a mix .

I studded way to low last season as I got woody gold diggers for free and I hated them to be honest cause they were only 3/8" above lug at best and to blunt of a point. Anyone with performance studs like 1/2" above lug + would eat me
Back to 1/2"-5/8" above lug again for me. I do some serious testing and racing so I'm going this route.
Just do as doc says on the protecting

I like to mix chisels with ice studs yes
I'll take a pic when I'm done.
I have a cobra and am installing 1.630" triggers and 1.630" chisels as a mix .

I studded way to low last season as I got woody gold diggers for free and I hated them to be honest cause they were only 3/8" above lug at best and to blunt of a point. Anyone with performance studs like 1/2" above lug + would eat me
Back to 1/2"-5/8" above lug again for me. I do some serious testing and racing so I'm going this route.
Just do as doc says on the protecting
I hated them too. Only have 400 miles on the sled, still sharp but just never hooked. Plus they were WAY to short, oh well, lesson learned. With 1.575 or 1.630 do I need the protectors? I might have misunderstood but I thought only if I used 1.830 then I would need the protectors.

I hated them too. Only have 400 miles on the sled, still sharp but just never hooked. Plus they were WAY to short, oh well, lesson learned. With 1.575 or 1.630 do I need the protectors? I might have misunderstood but I thought only if I used 1.830 then I would need the protectors.
I would use them for piece of mind ,especially if you run your track a touch loose,

To be fair to Woody's, and yes I use them, Gold Diggers are a trail stud, not a racing stud. No they won't bite like chisels or triggers even if you run them 1/2 over the lug. Gol diggers also won't wear out as fast as chisels/triggers either when /if you have a lot of road crossings and rocky trails.

Back
Top Bottom