• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

clutching machining?

MoreHP

Snowchecked my 2017 Pro S Switchback 800 and I was starting to write some notes on some new clutching work. Unfortunately I haven't really done any clutching before. I saw this link for Indy Specialty and they have a lot of primary machining and balancing, spring, weight. Will this work with a secondary helix and spring to match the primary? I want to have the best clutching there is. I ride in fast trails, corner to corner, and 0-100 as fast as possible. And will that new gearing work with the new primary machining, etc? I would get the parts this summer or send the clutching with indy specialty when the sled arrives.

http://www.indyspecialty.com/#!product-page/yucvr/ef220a7f-96d2-dd86-8bc4-735905df836c

Thanks!

I've never used Indy Dan, but the way he does it is the proper way that I can see.

I've never used Indy Dan, but the way he does it is the proper way that I can see.
Reading some of your posts, sounds like the 120/310 primary spring with weights and a 50/44 helix with a 140/220 seems sweet! Is it worth it to have it machined?

Reading some of your posts, sounds like the 120/310 primary spring with weights and a 50/44 helix with a 140/220 seems sweet! Is it worth it to have it machined?
Different applications for different riders and styles. That a general .

Back to machining.
The way I understand it. Dan trues up the sheaves machine them. Balances each part individually and assembles and checks balance again.
Seems good to me??

I just use cv tech as I'm Canadian and it's close. (Less cost)

Great, I will definitely do that now. I'll order the helix and spring, and then ill order the 120/310 primary spring just incase that other spring that indy specialty installed might not work as good. But I'm sure those weights from indy specialty will be great

Different applications for different riders and styles. That a general .

Back to machining.
The way I understand it. Dan trues up the sheaves machine them. Balances each part individually and assembles and checks balance again.
Seems good to me??

I just use cv tech as I'm Canadian and it's close. (Less cost)
Does CV Tech balance the parts individually? Will they machine the clutches for more overdrive?

Does CV Tech balance the parts individually? Will they machine the clutches for more overdrive?
Cv tech will balance separately but will cost more then $75.00 Canadian.
The advantage of this is if your constantly splitting your clutch apart so it stays balance no matter how you put it back together.
If you don't split your clutch apart, just get it balanced all in one.

I don't think they do overdrive??

I do though.

Do you feel adding more overdrive to the OEM Axys Primary clutch is worth it? Have you observed a performance difference before/after machining in more overdrive? Thx!

There's no performance difference bud. It's about getting the 1:1 to a 10-15% overdrive.for easier mph up top only
0.010"-0.020" makes a difference.

So if your seeing 100 mph in a 1:1 in the gear chart under 8250rpm. Add 10%+ if it's machined to get that belt to the top.
Example:100+10%= 10 mph more . Of course proper clutching comes into play.

Back in the day when the primary wasn't so restrictive, we machined them for 18% over drive and was easier. When running top mph with full shift out plus 18% over drive sometimes the belt would flip over on a wot .lol
Then we knew we achieved it and it showed on radar :D

There's no performance difference bud. It's about getting the 1:1 to a 10-15% overdrive.for easier mph up top only
0.010"-0.020" makes a difference.

So if your seeing 100 mph in a 1:1 in the gear chart under 8250rpm. Add 10%+ if it's machined to get that belt to the top.
Example:100+10%= 10 mph more . Of course proper clutching comes into play.

Back in the day when the primary wasn't so restrictive, we machined them for 18% over drive and was easier. When running top mph with full shift out plus 18% over drive sometimes the belt would flip over on a wot .lol
Then we knew we achieved it and it showed on radar :D
Emailed IndySpecialty and he machunes for overdrive. Question though, If you have a great clutch setup and its at full shift, then I decided to have the clutch machined to get 0.010-0.020 overdrive, do I have to re clutch? I would assume that you don't need change anything because of overdrive?

I'm running a gates belt,so is haulin,doc,bigfuse ,pros,etc....
Works and wears good . Plus it's cheaper.
I'm gonna try an epi and Carlisle this winter too.

Good your getting your clutch balanced and machined. It will run a lot smoother plus less stress on other parts too. Make sure you get your clutch indexed for the belt your using.

I would leave your clutching the way it is and try first.

Who does everyone recommend here in the states to do this balancing and overdrive work? Thanks

I might be wrong. I thought I read some where Indy specialties cuts the heel rest pad? Does anyone know if this is true? If so that will raise your engagement.

Another option for balancing, Garland and Son's in Toronto. Stellar work / great to deal with.

Don't ever get the moveable sheave pads that heel of primary weights sits on machined. You can't undo it. Once you do this, your committed.
At least if you grind a set of weights to tuck heel you can buy another set that aren't. Weights are easier and cheaper to buy then a clutch.
Just my 2 cents........

Back
Top Bottom