• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Help confirm thumb warmer wiring reality

Jimrous

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2018 Polaris switchback Assault 800
Ok I know the thumb warmers suck but I had to replace my throttle lever as I broke it. Now thumb warmer does not work at all.
I have power coming through switch properly to connection at thumb warmer harness after relay clicks in. Brown ground good.
Where I’m puzzled is new thumb warmer harness plug orange(low) and white(high) have continuity between them. Is this correct or do I have a bogus new warmer?
Original warmer does not have continuity between orange and white wires. It it only worked on high before..
please help

Here's the resistance values from the service manual.

1701382356217.png

Looks like thats a carry over from the handwarmer chart to test if you are shorted to the bars. Not relevant to this since its mounted to plastic.
You should have continuity between the high/low, see the diagram from the sleds wiring diagram below.
Have you replaced the crappy chinese Polaris relays in the sled yet?

1701394106004.png

Ok, that’s how the warmer tests out….
Haven’t done any relays.
I have power in the right places after the switch is toggled….
I’m going to throw the lever in the freezer and then try it.
Might be a duh moment and it’s too warm to “activate”.
Curious now about relays… tell me more.

See below for a post I made in another thread about the relays. Load shed relay could be junk and zapping too much power. You might only have 4 depending on whether or not you have e-start.

See below for a post I made in another thread about the relays. Load shed relay could be junk and zapping too much power. You might only have 4 depending on whether or not you have e-start.

Thank you again. Might just change them even if it works when i retry tomorrow.
Load shed seems to flip over after a blip of throttle up over 2500 as High beam works so assumed relay was good.
Had good power and good ground, never thought of temp as factor. Hope that’s it..
Appreciate the help

I'd change them just as cheap insurance and prevent a future problem. They are cheap enough.
There's nothing in those warmer circuits that would be sensing temperature, just a simple resistance circuit, so unfortunately I doubt that is it. My money is on a flaky load shed relay, or possibly a rub thru on the wiring harness somewhere.

I'd change them just as cheap insurance and prevent a future problem. They are cheap enough.
There's nothing in those warmer circuits that would be sensing temperature, just a simple resistance circuit, so unfortunately I doubt that is it. My money is on a flaky load shed relay, or possibly a rub thru on the wiring harness somewhere.
Sorry I thought the initial chart you sent indicated at the top that resistance changes with temperature; thought that would determine heat generated from element.
Will let ya know how what I find

Just referred back to here and see your link shows CM1-R-12V. I ordered CM1A-R-12V as I was looking at another thread on HCS that gave that number
Am I reordering???

Depends if you have electric start or not. The original and the CM1 I posted are single pole double throw, the CM1A you bought is single pole normally open which I dont think will work for the starter relay. The rest dont care since nothing is wired to that pole when unpowered.

Depends if you have electric start or not. The original and the CM1 I posted are single pole double throw, the CM1A you bought is single pole normally open which I dont think will work for the starter relay. The rest dont care since nothing is wired to that pole when unpowered.
Thanks, ordered another set but good to know

Thanks, ordered another set but good to know
Thumb warmer now functions and my high beam flicks off after idling for awhile and pops back on when revved up.
Load relay was the ticket.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom