• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Idler wheel replacement?

racerdave

Staff member
Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
since 1976
Snowmobile
AXYS Switcher 800,Indy600sp,XCSP600ves
What are any of you using to replace the crappy idler wheels that chunk so often? This is the 3rd one now. The other 2 were in season so I paid dealer price. Looking to get ahead this year with better aftermarket. Or should I just use the solid PPD like Poo is putting on the XCR's now? Not looking to buy pricey billets though.

idlerwheelchunked.JPG

Why do they chunk out?
Is it because the spoked wheels flex slightly? Are the spoked wheels that much lighter or are they that much cheaper, lowering the bottom line?
Read, CHEAP!!

Last edited:
Cheap is probably the best word. Many 2015's had this problem. Can't say if 2016's were affected.

I put solids in. Same part as the XCR.

I just pulled a wheel of my 2015 Indy. Same diameter and 6004 bearing as the AXYS. Solid wheel and no silly hole like the XCR wheel. Polaris part number 1590419-070

skididlerwheel.JPG

Last edited:
On my 2015 switch I replaced 8 of those light weight spoke wheels already. They chunked out rubber. I do have studs, but all studs are properly torqued?
I think the wheel rubber is cheap junk
The solid wheels like you posted Dave are better in my opinion Dunno

On my 2015 switch I replaced 8 of those light weight spoke wheels already. They chunked out rubber. I do have studs, but all studs are properly torqued?
Yep. Looking around now for best price with shipping. Going to buy some for spares and to use now on AXYS.

Anybody install larger rear wheels? If so where are they from. I installed some 9 inch on my assault before but never see any on a axys.

Me and haulin bought 9" billet powder coated matte black with rubber with powder coated offset axle from "tricked toyz"
in Ontario

i went through 5 idler wheels just last season.
i agree spoked factory wheels are not durable from now on i will replace them with solid ones on my switchback
and thinking about trying billet idlers on my Assault.

The ones on my 2015 800 SB are chunked also. Are these the ones I need to replace the originals with? http://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/shocks-suspension/2881955/

if not please recommend. thanks!

. Polaris part number 1590419-070 AS DAVE HAS MENTIONED ABOVE
I bought them from Babbitts. Price was within a few cents either way as anywhere on the net, but they also had other stuff in stock I wanted.

I bought them from Babbitts. Price was within a few cents either way as anywhere on the net, but they also had other stuff in stock I wanted.

How about the part # for the one on the rear axle which is a larger dia.?

Anybody install larger rear wheels? If so where are they from. I installed some 9 inch on my assault before but never see any on a axys.
I'm running 8" rear wheels off an arctic cat series

Back
Top Bottom