• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Idler wheel replacement?

I'm using a offset rear axle kit from avid products which you can get in either 20mm or 25mm and am running 4 arctic cat #3604-073 wheels.
I was just searching for that Cat part number yesterday. I found that Royal Distributing sells a plain black 7.87" Skidoo wheel for $29 with a 6004 bearing. Top of this page:

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2017-Fall-Winter/#174/z

I was wondering if the offset axle from Royal would work too? It looks the same as the tricked toys axle... Bottom of this page:

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2017-Fall-Winter/#178/z

Looking at K5's link, when using that axle you still use smaller inner wheels?

Yes it seems like most of them are designed to use small inner wheels to leave room for the rear scissor arm or shock (not that we need space there...). I think some of the other offset axles will let you run 8 or 9" wheels all the way across. I'm thinking this would be better as the track might want to "sag" or bow towards the center with the smaller wheels. Is this what happens when using smaller inner wheels?

The way the off set axles work are if you have 6.325" back idlers you can go to 8". If you have 7" back idlers ,you can go to 9".
2" bigger then stock Max

Brock, on my Indy it has 7 inch. Can I just go to 8 inch, and stay with the 7's on the inside?

I understand the outer idlers can go 2" bigger. The questions are about smaller inner idler wheels. I guess you (Brock) used all big wheels tho?
Correct.
The way my offset axle was made is to use all 9 inch wheels.. I can have 3 on the inside only , or 2 on outside and 2 on inside. ,or 2 on outside and 3 inside, or 2 on outside and 1 inside .
I have all the spacers for that to change.

For those that put in 8" idler wheels in your Axys? Did you use 3 or 4 idler wheels?

What I found is that Avid only makes the offset Axle that accepts the 25mm (6205) bearings which basically means a person has to go all plastic wheels with no rubber (not good for those with studs IMO) or Whal Brothers sells a solid plastic black wheel with rubber - not the nicest looking wheel.

It would be ideal if Avid sold an Axle that could also use the 20mm (6004) bearings to go up to 8" - but it appears he does not. And I don't think anyone else does either.

I'd like to stick with a spoke style plastic wheel with rubber that uses a 25mm bearing. I think OEM wheels are around 1/2" wide, and I think the others are all around 3/4" wide, not sure if that will be an issue or not? Anyone find a 8" spoke style plastic wheel that has the rubber on the outer edge?

I used 4 8" arctic cat wheels across the back. I did have to make a new center stepped shaft and some flanged bushings to keep the wheels center correctly as the bearing widths are different than what the axle kit was designed for. Im guessing if you called avid and explained what you're after he could set you up.

I used 4 8" arctic cat wheels across the back. I did have to make a new center stepped shaft and some flanged bushings to keep the wheels center correctly as the bearing widths are different than what the axle kit was designed for. Im guessing if you called avid and explained what you're after he could set you up.

Trust me, I've tried.

Just got these yesterday...fyi
$124.99 CDN

Attachments

• IMG_20180105_100944.jpg
    IMG_20180105_100944.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 510
Those are just standard diameter.

Yes you are correct. OP was asking what we were replacing them with. But now I see how old the original post is so it's probably a moot point now on my part.

Back
Top Bottom