• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Jaws

Does the above silencer meet the 88db sound law in Wisconsin?

Thanks Doc. What time zone his he in. As I type this it is 9:45am where I am in Illinois.

Dave - post back if they are coming up with one that will meet the sound req. When I last corresponded with them they would not say they would. We were in the U.P. this weekend again and the conversation had it the DNR in both states maybe in crackdown mode again. I recall last Feb. just outside Bergland they had a sound check setup and were writing a lot of tickets per hour. I know the stock can flows well but it is always a welcome thing removing weight if needed.

I got busy and didn't call today. Hopefully tomorrow.

I have a decible meter I can borrow.
I have a jaws pipe and can.
Does anyone know the correct distance away to stand and point ??

It was my understanding that Greg was not releasing any specs on the pipes for 2017 until he verifies no changes were made to fuel calibration/timing curve in the ECU.

Has he verified that there has been no changes between 2016/2017 calibrations?

For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1977, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 78 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J192.
For a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.

This is on the Michigan DNR web. I believe Wisconsin is similar but this is close. I have seen Diamond-S is advertised as meeting it. Not sure if they have and testing to verify or any performance numbers. The others out there may have more detail about performance.

The 88 db 2004 standard is the one I am referring to for Wisconsin. I believe there is a height off the snow/ground the meter is supposed to be also. Possibly a xx mph drive pass?

The Jaws pipe with stock muffler has a sweat sound but not loud at all we have 4 Axys in our group two piped Axys in our group 2015 with a Bikeman pipe and stock muffler and you cant tell it has a pipe and it sounds total stock i put my jaws on for a trip in Quebec at the end of the season after putting 600 miles on it last thing I think of is the noise my buddies could not tell I had a pipe on it and the ski doo boys are always checking they ran out of excuses (lol) and also in Ontario Canada we have noise laws I can say my 2012 800 switch pro r with stock pipe and muffler is much louder than my Jaws piped 2016 Axys

Mr Indy, I am a little confused. You are running the Jaws pipe but what silencer?

sorry Dave stock silencer both of the piped sleds in our group run stock silencer

Dave - From the Wisconsin Handbook:

Your snowmobile must have a muffler in good working order, which blends the exhaust noise into the overall engine noise. The only exception
to the sound laws are when you operate your snowmobile during a Sanctioned Race or you are a dealer/manufacturer testing the snowmobile on
your own land.

Noise limit—for every snowmobile manufactured on or after July 2, 1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and engine noise shall
be 88 decibels as measured in accordance with the procedures established for the measurement of exhaust sound levels of stationary
snowmobiles in the January 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers Standards J2567.
You can’t refuse to allow your snowmobile to be inspected for suspected sound violations or other suspected equipment violations.
To help stay compliant, do not alter your exhaust to be louder than the original exhaust system. If your snowmobile sounds louder than
normal, you may be in violation. Maintain your snowmobile and seek the advice of a service technician if you are in doubt.
You cannot modify your snowmobile’s exhaust in any manner that will amplify or increase the total noise emission above that emitted by the snow
mobile as originally manufactured, regardless of date of manufacture. Excessive or unusually loud snowmobiles are illegal and hurt Wiscon-
sin’s trail system. Do not increase your exhaust noise or operate with your exhaust system in excess of the sound limits. Wisconsin vigor-
ously enforces the sound limits and penalties can be severe, however the worst thing about a loud snowmobile is that it causes properties
to be permanently closed to snowmobile riding.

I thought there was a rec nt update that had the moving sled and the meter at a certain height specified?

Thanks guys.

I just read that in Canadian cities it's 92 db. But it doesn't state the distance of measuring or rpm?

This was in the assault 800 package with sled

f1c458fb690f7c65834e2d2446f60c4e.jpg

Sent from Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

I just read that in Canadian cities it's 92 db. But it doesn't state the distance of measuring or rpm?
92 decibels is extremely loud. Some of the local race tracks limit stock cars to 92db.
The questions is, how far away is the sample taken?

yeah have to remember 1 db is 10 times louder than previous i believe.

Many states NY, MI I know for sure follow the SAE J2641 sound test standards. They just Revised it this spring/summer because previously it required testing parking brake on at 4000 RPMs with a limit of 88 db 12 feet behind and it was burning there belts because engagement comes before that on a lot of newer sleds. They changed it to 2500 RPM, and 82 db it is supposed to be done in snow covered trail like surroundings with snowmobile parking brake on and operator in normal riding position

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom