• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Performance Q & A with Joey from Bikeman

JoeyStrub-Bikeman

Advertiser
Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
All Makes but only the high power models
Okay everyone I am on here to answer your Question's about any of our products or tunes. I will answer any legit questions about HP and EFI Tuning. Many of you already know me but for those who don't - I am one of the main guys in Research and Development at Bikeman. We have a high tech Dyno and Engineering facility in NW Wisconsin. I figured this would be the best section for this since

I will usually answer questions later at night after my Boy is sleeping since family time is important to me.

Ask away!

Ok Joey I'll start

The t map sensor were its positioned in the intake has under hood heat. At what degree F did you see a change in anything like fuel/timing?

Ok Joey I'll start

The t map sensor were its positioned in the intake has under hood heat. At what degree F did you see a change in anything like fuel/timing?
1.Fuel - The Stock mapping has approximately a -1% change in fuel per +10 degrees farenheit of IAT (intake air temp) up starting at -40 until you hit 40 degrees at that point the stock mapping gets off, so at 50 degrees fahrenheit intake temp your sled is running about 1% richer than it should be and keep in mind that that is intake temp not air temp. Drive your sled hard and line up for a drag race and while you are sitting there waiting for everyone to line up your intake temp is climbing rapidly, we have seen 100 degree intake air temps in this scenario and also mountain riding while actual air temps are 80 degrees cooler. Our Bikeman tuning has the correct algorithms for any condition from -40F IAT to +120F IAT which will cover the vast majority if all snowmobiling conditions and make the sled feel CRISP!

2. Ignition Timing - The stock programming has no adjustment in timing due to IAT neither does ours however we could make an algorithm for it easily but have not found a need to do so.

Good stuff Joey Div20

The reason I asked this is because I'm moving just the thermistor part of t map to a location that under hood heat won't influence it as the thermistor reads temp in t map.
I'm leaving t map in intake were it is but it will only read pressure and the thermistor part will be in another location , but in line with intake that will be colder temps

Good stuff Joey Div20

The reason I asked this is because I'm moving just the thermistor part of t map to a location that under hood heat won't influence it as the thermistor reads temp in t map.
I'm leaving t map in intake were it is but it will only read pressure and the thermistor part will be in another location , but in line with intake that will be colder temps

You'll have to lets us know how that works it will most likely run richer. I personally would choose to have the IAT reading temp as close to engine in the intake air stream as it can be without getting fuel or oil back spray so that way the ECU will be adjusting for the most accurate air temps that are entering the engine. I think the location on the AXYS is in a good spot.

Okay everyone I am on here to answer your Question's about any of our products or tunes. I will answer any legit questions about HP and EFI Tuning. Many of you already know me but for those who don't - I am one of the main guys in Research and Development at Bikeman. We have a high tech Dyno and Engineering facility in NW Wisconsin. I figured this would be the best section for this since

I will usually answer questions later at night after my Boy is sleeping since family time is important to me.

Ask away!
OK I WILL BE 2ND!
JOEY,
DO YOU HAVE AN UPDATED TUNE FOR THE BULLY DOG SINCE WE LAST SPOKE AT END OF SEASON?

OK I WILL BE 2ND!
JOEY,
DO YOU HAVE AN UPDATED TUNE FOR THE BULLY DOG SINCE WE LAST SPOKE AT END OF SEASON?

The last revision for the AXYS ends in D if yours ends in A, B, or C the yes we have an update. Just Email me JoeyBMP@gmail.com with your Name and GT & ECU serial number we will match up and then email latest revision back to you.

Joey, your last years gold stars had a very flat conservative profile that needed so much weight and most of our test sleds still over revved with last year gold star flat profile. This is comparing to 10 series profile.

An example:

We had 78 grams in your gold stars and sled was still over revving . I changed weights to a 10 series that weighed a perfect 70 grams each and the sled was way quicker in acceleration and it just slightly under revved vs the 78 grams we had in your gold stars.

Did you guys change the profile so it's more aggressive of a curve so it doesn't need that much weight?

Joey, your last years gold stars had a very flat conservative profile that needed so much weight and most of our test sleds still over revved with last year gold star flat profile. This is comparing to 10 series profile.

An example:

We had 78 grams in your gold stars and sled was still over revving out of power band with this much weight . I changed weights to a 10 series that weighed a perfect 70 grams each and the sled was way quicker in acceleration and it just slightly under revved vs the 78 grams we had in your gold stars.

I'm not knocking anything, just that I/ we think from testing your gold stars are to conservative of a profile and needs to much weight, and that's not a good thing. Wear and tear with that much weight quicker.

Did you guys change the profile so it's more aggressive of a curve so it doesn't need that much weight?
We will have a profile similar to the 10 series this Season it's already in the works and will also continue to have our current profile. Our pipe/programming likes the RPM to creep up as it gets hotter so that is part of the reason for the design.

The profile we currently use likes a lot of tip weight and works excellent in many conditions. Clutching is a subject that has so many possibilities that if you speak with 10 different people with great running stuff most likely you will get 10 different opinions on how it should be clutched. This happens all the time in this field.

Last edited:
Thanks Joey,

Gonna try different set ups with timing system and track loader

Thanks Joey,

Gonna try different set ups with timing system and track loader
Track loader.. are you talking track dyno? We have experimented with track dyno a bunch but found that nothing can replace real world Radar/GPS/Timers for acceleration testing however the track dyno can help with efficiency for top MPH.

IMG_0095.JPG
Track loader.. are you talking track dyno? We have experimented with track dyno a bunch but found that nothing can replace real world Radar/GPS/Timers for acceleration testing however the track dyno can help with efficiency for top MPH.

Docs track loader with porta tree timing system Div20

But I/ we have a laser timing system and a v box sportsman to help out in the field

The trick is matching the load applied at the track to what sled will see in field for the surface it will be used on. It's tricky and results should be verified in field. Friend of mine has same set up we break our sleds in on it to set the rings etc do to control of load and speed variations.

Joey have you had a chance to test any '17 mapping and if so could you comment on any differences from the earlier model years? (May have to wait for this a bit yet but may as well ask it.)

Joey have you had a chance to test any '17 mapping and if so could you comment on any differences from the earlier model years? (May have to wait for this a bit yet but may as well ask it.)

What's changed in a 2017 ECU vs 2016 ECU

In 17 these Items have been modified - Timing, Fuel and Idle explained how so below.
1. Timing Angle Correction vs Barometric pressure - Timing has been added as Baro drops to make up for thin air mostly above 7000 rpm vs 2016 this was not corrected in Polaris Stock tune.
2. Fuel injection - Correction vs Barometric pressure - Fueling corrections have been changed as barometric drops with high elevation they are a hair richer above 7k and substantially leaner below 7k.
3. Fuel Injection - Reverse Duration 2017 is less vs 2016
4. Idle warm up fuel - less at certain temps and rpm
5. Idle fuel duration - less all over
6. Idle Timing - more all over on average and a much more refined timing chart.

All of these are Stock 2017 vs Stock 2016. Keep in mind that our mapping already has more than stock mapping for corrections and algorithms, we have 87 different algorithm tables.

Final vote 2017 stock does look better than 2016 Stock.

Great info as always Joey. Thank you!

When do you anticipate you'll get on the Dyno to do a stage build with the new Y-Pipe and start providing the updated Tunes?

Great info as always Joey. Thank you!

When do you anticipate you'll get on the Dyno to do a stage build with the new Y-Pipe and start providing the updated Tunes?

We have tunes made for the Y pipe and every stage level ready to go we had been running them all last season. We will be doing 2017 dyno build from scratch in the next month including all the stage kits plus the Y pipe.

Just looking at your big bore kit and durability kit and notice your claim on the taller pistons. How does it compare to the rk tek kit that doesn't have the taller pistons?

ITS NOT A TRACK DYNO,IT CALCULATES DISTANCE AND SPEED THAT IT TOOK YOU TO GET THERE,BASED ON A LOAD,HOWEVER IM SURE THERE IS A FORMULA TO COME UP WITH TRCK HP..

Back
Top Bottom