• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Primary and Secondary Clutch Issues

Jayson Oliver

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
14 Switchback 600
99 ZL 600
96 XLT 600
91 Tundra 250
I have a 2014 600 Adventure. Recently this winter I have had what appears to be some clutch issues. The primary was not engaging until aprox 5500 RPM, removed and cleaned, seemed to fix that issue, but now the secondary has a issue. I put the sled in reverse and the secondary opens fully, sled does not go in reverse, and the clutch will not disengage until I push it forward. I have taken it apart and cleaned. All looks ok, but I am at a loss as to why this would be happening. I have 2000 km on this sled and it does have a new Polaris belt. Next step is to rebuild both clutches and inspect the chain case. Just putting this out there to see if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix was.

Thanks.

It sounds like your secondary has a broken spring. But? The chaincase won't be a cause of the non working reverse. You said you have to push "it" forward to disengage? What is it? The clutch, or the sled? You said you took the secondary apart? Did you remove the helix, then the spyder and spring? Do you have a picture of the clutch to make sure we are talking about the OEM Team clutch that came on the sled new?

The secondary spring is not broken. When going in reverse the secondary opens fully, and the belt bottoms out, but the sled goes nowhere. I physically have to push the sled forward for the secondary to disengage. It is the stock secondary that came with the sled. I did pull the secondary completely apart, cleaned and inspected with no issues, and reassembled. Once back on the sled tried reverse, the same problem still exists.

Your secondary is a P2 correct?
p2.jpg
Possible that # 4 has slipped out of the snap ring slot because #5 needs a larger inner diameter to let the snap ring seat better. this was a problem on the P2 clutch. There is a thread here on the board about what I did to prevent the ring from popping out

It is a P2 clutch, do you have a link to the thread so I can review? And thanks for the help.

I did that was not the issue, I believe the spring slid out of the clutch housing, not 100% sure, I am rebuilding the secondary.

I just built a 2012 pro R 800 rush we bought the sled as a roller. I then purchased and installed a 2015 RMK 800 motor that came with it's primary clutch. Upon starting it on the stand becides adjustment of the belt tension (so the Mark's sat just over the top of the secondary) it seemed to run fine tried reverse ( still on the stand ) worked fine. As soon as I went to test the sled out I made it 30ft tried reverse and came against the same issue as this guy. The secondary is stuck. I took everything apart in the secondary put it all back in same thing ! After the first go I did a comparison of the stock secondary spring (blue with a black line) sitting next to another one and it was about a half inch shorter same year sled even around the same millage. The snap ring was not pushed out and becides one of the rings looking a bit warn it looked fine.

Yes I did and becides a ripple in the washer that sits against the spring everything looked to be fine but I throughly cleaned everything and used a tephlon grease on the cam rollers to make shure they would not stick

I'm about to pull this sled back into my shop so I can take some pictures if that will help I just really want to get this thing running it's been nothing but a dam battle all the way thank god the guy I bought the motor from is awesome he sent me a whole new wire harness because they don't cross over same thing with the fuel injectors the plugs are different so what should have taken me 8 hours is going on a month now in prime riding time.

Low compression can cause not going into reverse as can a tight belt. Working on the stand is not how to test reverse

The compression was tested before the motor was installed and that was just fine. Upon first starting the sled we wanted to test as much as we could before taking it off the stand thus the reverse check. Another goofy issue is that only the left light was on when the high beams were turned on when I went to low I had no lights. I'm not shure if one and now both lights are burned out but having had to swap the stock wire harness out for a 2013 rush wire harness if something got crossed.

Back
Top Bottom