• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Questions how to make the triple more reliable

Andrewpeloquin

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1989 Polaris Indy 650
I'm looking to see if there's anyone on here who would know what to do to make a Polaris triple more reliable I hear they have a lot of their own issues I just picked up a 89 650 and would rather know the common problem areas before I end up in the boons

You may have finished your year up with other(s) help but just saw this as I have not visited the site regularly.
I would recommend spending time on the Carbs, they need to be clean of course and both jets in each carburetor need to be clear. Also, my strong opinion is that you should put in new needle and seats, it's amazing the very slight difference feel of the tension between a used and a new one but the new ones help stop the unwanted fuel flow to the carbs. When you have this unwanted fuel flow after shut down, you risk flooding for sure and putting fuel in the cylinders upon start up and you can hydraulically crack a head with the raw fuel in the cylinder as it gets compressed, I have 1st hand experience.
Be sure none of the Choke(s) cables are partially engaging any of the chokes at all, if there is any partial engagement there will be extra fuel causing flooding most noticable at Idle by the machine killing and you may hear that the 2 stroke rythem doesn't sound right. Hopefully some of these tips can help, they are spoken from expensive experience.:)
Tim.

I rode a 88 Indy 650 for years that was stock and it was trouble free and very reliable. I can't say that about my 86 Indy 600 that took pistons out often.

I still have my 89 Indy triple, completely stock and it runs like a top. Never had an issue with it. I wish there was a belt deflection adjustment on the secondary to adjust for belt wear. It has always bogged a bit from standing start with an older belt. Other than that the old 650 was a reliable motor.

Add or subtract shims inside secondary to adjust belt deflection

Add or subtract shims inside secondary to adjust belt deflection
I agree that is the process but it would be nice to have it simpler like the current secondaries or even the previous version with the three bolts and ring that you turn to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom