• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Real World Test Results

I'm gonna ask my dealer about 68s or even 70s since I'm a light guy. Right now it'll hit 8400 no problem with the occasional flash of an 8500 on a throttle stab
Bragger! :)

I don't thing the belly busters and the 10 series are exactly the same. There must be some small difference. I had 10-68's in a sled and then put the 68 belly busters in and it just killed the rpm's on hole shots. No other changes. Was surprised there was that much difference and couldn't find any other contributing factors.
I think your right
There is a slight difference in profile at start and were the weight is put vs 10 series. But there close.
There hard like 10 series too. (62 Rockwell).

Lol that just means she's a strong runner! I musta did a good job breaking it in then. Can't wait to take on my club pres's Cat turbo in a couple weeks. We'll be ready.

Test 4 at 10 deg F. 70 pitch chain with 40B and 24T gears. Stock secondary spring blue/black. Helix is 46 - 42. Results are 108 mph and 8250 rpm in 1320 ft. Didn't reach top speed or rpm in 1320, still climbing. No sharpie marker left for full shift out.

Going to be 36 f today. Switched to 155 - 222 spring secondary spring. Easy to change spring when you make one of these.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the update. We just got snow finally. I'm going to test my gearing and clutch setup tonight. Its been almost a month!

Test 5 at 34 deg F. 70 pitch chain with 40B and 24T gears. 155-222 secondary spring team black. Helix 46 - 42. Results are 106 mph and 8250 rpm in 1320 ft.

I'm impressed. This combination will easily pass the C note in warm spring weather.

I've got to give a shout out to Brock and Doc. They were on the money as far as setup goes!

Ru4real.
Awesome.

If u look at test #4 of yours. You had a lighter secondary spring in and u got more speed of 108 mph and still climbing as u say. Both rpm and speed. (This is more of a drag racer set up) :D
Test #5 was a stiffer secondary only and you got your top speed in the same distance plus rpm all the way through as you say in warmer weather. (This is more of a fast trail set up ):D

Now, go inbetween with a 140/220

I agree that if I had a 140/220 I would use it.

A 2015 Indy 800 is in our group. We used to be ski tip to ski tip. Now, I can turn the rear clicker up to 14 to intentially loose the hole shot to the Indy. But I still go by the Indy at 50 or so even losing the hole shot. When being serious, I've yet to lose a hole shot to any sled. Same as your 850 Doo videos.

What guys don't do in most cases is properly set up suspension and cvt system BEFORE mods. You can take a stock sled and set all this up to free up friction, HP,mph and resistance. And gain lengths just by doing this vs one not done properly.

Case in point:
Frezty has a2017 assault. The cvt and suspension is set up well.

Primary machined,balanced and OD
Alignment and +0.120 float.
Belt to sheave
Track tension &chain tension
Suspension set up for hole shot
Suspension is lowered,loose &broke-in
Belt deflection
Clean belt & sheaves as normal

I only changed the primary weights to get rpm down from 8550 to 8350 with adjustable weights . Put one glide washer in primary to make up the proper pound difference. Everything else is stock. Stock springs,helix and gear ratio.
This thing is a rocket. It can handle other 800's, modded ones and 850's..

This isn't to brag, it's just to point out, there's more with tweaking what you already have and not wasting money on mods .

Spot on Brock.

I've seen many modded machines get waxed by bone stock that are well maintained and set up.

Test 4 is with the stock spring, which is all the 46-42 would need. That spring rate is 76 lbs?.The 155-222 is 53?, way to much spring for cold day, better for warm day as you said. I would switch to the 48-44 ramp and run stock spring should be faster with a 44 on top.And 200 lbs of spring should be plenty for a stock pipe..

Test 5 at 34 deg F. 70 pitch chain with 40B and 24T gears. 155-222 secondary spring team black. Helix 46 - 42. Results are 106 mph and 8250 rpm in 1320 ft.

I'm impressed. This combination will easily pass the C note in warm spring weather.

I've got to give a shout out to Brock and Doc. They were on the money as far as setup goes!
So ur using a 1.66 gear ratio correct? I don't recall seeing that in polaris' recommended gearing chart in the axys reference sticky. I didn't think u could use ratios that weren't recommended by factory?

I'm curious how ur clutching setup will work with 1.81 gears, as ur clutch setup is very similar to the one I wanna try

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

From the chart you can see I'm used 1.67 gears for test 4 and 5. The 1.74 may be quicker in some conditions. Interestingly, the stock 1.61 gears are about 6 mph faster breaking trail on the lake in deep powder than the 1.67 I'm running now. But I've settled on the 1.67, specifically for the 40 tooth bottom gear.

I choose to change springs in secondary to compensate for outside temps. In warm weather I use the team black 155-222 spring. In cold weather I use the stock blue black 123-203 spring.

My rpms are almost always between 8200-8300 by changing springs, except for extreme temps. For example, today it was 45 F out and I was pulling 8100 with the 155-222. Ten days ago it was -5 F out and I was pulling 8400 with the 123-203.

I've never changed driven springs before to keep up with conditions. This is new to me. Previously I always changed primary weight. I don't have an answer why my sled ALWAYS pulls 70 gram EPI's so consistently with only that spring change. But it's working for me and that's what tuning is all about.

Thanks for postin Ry3an7, I haven't seen that chart I guess.
As for the bit Ru4real posted about the 1.61 breaking trail faster than his 1.67 in deeper conditions, does anyone have a theory as to why? Is it because of the way the clutch is setup? Common sense would tell u the slightly lower gear would have the edge in those conditions, all else equal right?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

From the chart you can see I'm used 1.67 gears for test 4 and 5. The 1.74 may be quicker in some conditions. Interestingly, the stock 1.61 gears are about 6 mph faster breaking trail on the lake in deep powder than the 1.67 I'm running now. But I've settled on the 1.67, specifically for the 40 tooth bottom gear.

The 1.61 may have seemed faster and a speedo reading doesn't tell the 100% truth or seat of the pants.

Timers tell what's really going on and we use them. Only way to be 100% accurate and pass on good info .

Set a distance like we do. Let's say 1/4 mile to be fair to the 1.61 ratio. Set timing system to mark , 60'. 100',500', 660', and 1/4 mile You'd be surprised what gear ratios work the best. And it's never the 1.61 at any of the distances I mentioned. Slowest at every mark in et and mph. We've tried it in 2015

Ask doc on his track loader too. He'll tell you what gear ratios work best on his track loader .

There is a reason Polaris only used the 1.61 ratio for one year and changed to a lower one. Huge inconsistencies cvt system.

There is a reason Polaris only used the 1.61 ratio for one year and changed to a lower one. Huge inconsistencies cvt system.

1.61 has always been the stock ratio for any year axys 120/137 1.25 rip 2.
1.68 for the cobra

That's a good ratio for an apex. That's about it.

Might be OK if shooting for a specific run ( top end radar run) , but it will suffer in most any other conditions.

I have been down thru all these gear swaps too.
You're going to find the 1.74 Ratio to be the best all around setup.

Stock ratio in the Assault.

1.61 has always been the stock ratio for any year axys 120/137 1.25 rip 2.
1.68 for the cobra
Your right. I meant cobra track changed to the 1.68 ratios Div20

My point was the inconsistencies in the 1.61

Back
Top Bottom