• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Shoot out

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
FB_IMG_1449887487228_1.jpg

Hmmm... Observations: "We" lost; Doo slows down quite a bit between 1st and 2nd runs; Cats new clutches seem better this year.

Is the not-so-great Poo ECU mapping at 35+++ degree temps (what was the air temp out there?) to blame for slowish Poo runs all round--then the Doo heats up on second run and their known brand of fade sets in?

Wonder how much time between runs--short enough to let some heat sink/fade (Doo) set in?

Is a cooler aftermarket head with matched mapping and more thermostat flow going to help lots? I hope so--I'm on way to doing all that.

All good bud. We win some and loose some.
Temps were around 45 i heard and muddy

I heard the doo 800 made huge hp. I don't know it as Jim hasn't posted it yet.

I do know this.
The doo was geared to 1.80 from factory and the pro s is 1.61 ratio. That showed in the 1000 foot distance on grass/ mud.

I'm curious on hp of poo and doo as their limited.

"We" lost because of a combination of a few things...
The 2016 Doo makes pretty much 10hp more than the 2015 model-165hp
The AXYS has shitty gear ratio from the factory.
And the AXYS break in mode severely limits power/timing more than the other brands. Especially since the outside temperature rose 50degrees between stock and dealer prep runs is what I read!
The Doo is gonna be the real deal for 2016 IMO. But the AXYS definitely needs a gear change and will hold its own.

Polaris 800 posted fastest stock mph of the day. Track is a VERY sandy mix from start to finish. Temps were warm making it hard to keep low water/ engine temps and still get heat in the pipe. Sleds were run 1000 ft down and driven back to start/ area then shut down there is t enough time availible between runs to get the heatsoak out. After stock 6/8 were run mods and private trail sleds ran the back to 6/8 preps. Got warmer out and picked up a decent head wind. All sleds actually slowed down in prep. Most likely due to the deteriorating track conditions (esp in first 100 ft.) agressive setups dependant on solid hookup. I. The now loose start. There really isn't time enough between runs to make many if any changes and cool the sled. The sleds all ran very close super close in fact. At end of the day it is what it is was same for everybody. I can't say poo "won" but at least got the mph of the day so it's something posative for sure. Guys will be happy with the dyno results also. The polaris 8 is def. In the game. It's a long way off but I predict poo "wins" nxt year.

The track was ok, but not great. Between 660' and 1000' there were some good bumps. Sleds were jumping around if you hit the bad portion. Strong headwind blowing directly down the track during the dealer prep runs. I think traction and weight transfer hurt the Polaris. The Poo's had the biggest wheelies out of all the sleds. You can't go fast going up!! It was also to dam warm....48-50 degrees when the sun was out. I think once the snow flies we know how the results will be.....

Wonder why they don't tighten the crap out of the rear spring for this to limit wheelies. Basically--the Poo ran well up top but was click behind in acceleration TIMES--pointing to the wheelie-start.

Because of start, all races should include a 60' time like regular sanctioned racing. These tell traction period. All races are won at the start, period.
I know from racing that a wheelie can easily cost you 2 tenths of a second. Surprisingly, the poo that did the wheelie lost by that.

It's all good. I've been to 3 of those events and it's actually a joke if you're a serious racer. Hahaha way to many variables from one brand to another. I'm not making excuses for polaris as it doesn't matter who wins in my book.

Dam, it needs to snow,lol :D

Man the 800s are close but what the heck is going on with Polaris 600?? They have always had the fastest 600s until the axys version. My dealer was talking it up last spring on how well they run and that they have more power now glad I went 800 lol

For 10hp more and quite abit lower gearing, the Doo didn't show a really big difference. Humm

On snow where the weight transfer works in Polaris's favor instead of making the rider let off to get control its a much different story

On snow where the weight transfer works in Polaris's favor instead of making the rider let off to get control its a much different story
What im saying is gearing didn't really make a difference. 10hp and gearing low like what is recommended on a bunch of threads that doo should've wiped Polaris ass and flushed. But really wasn't much difference. And both sleds lost a little on 2nd run. So they were running pretty consistent. Considering the temp and the terrain they were racing on. The 1.61 gear still showed the fastest speed. When in other threads guys are saying the lower gear is showing faster speed.
Idk, wasn't really a good shootout. But comparing to what was run. I dont see much difference

According to parts diagram 2016 rush pro s 800 with hacksaw track have 1.78 gearing. I agree gearing not a factor if you see photos from the race the Polaris again had skis pointed to the sky I'm saying uncoupled skid launching on dirt hard to get a good start where you can keep on the gas without flipping over backward. Weight forward doo is a great chassis for dirt dragging.

Where as on actual snow nothing can touch the uncoupled axys launching out of the hole

What im saying is gearing didn't really make a difference. 10hp and gearing low like what is recommended on a bunch of threads that doo should've wiped Polaris ass and flushed. But really wasn't much difference. And both sleds lost a little on 2nd run. So they were running pretty consistent. Considering the temp and the terrain they were racing on. The 1.61 gear still showed the fastest speed. When in other threads guys are saying the lower gear is showing faster speed.
Idk, wasn't really a good shootout. But comparing to what was run. I dont see much difference

Last edited:
According to parts diagram 2016 rush pro s 800 with hacksaw track have 1.78 gearing. I agree gearing not a factor if you see photos from the race the Polaris again had skis pointed to the sky I'm saying uncoupled skid launching on dirt hard to get a good start where you can keep on the gas without flipping over backward. Weight forward doo is a great chassis for dirt dragging.

Where as on actual snow nothing can touch the uncoupled axys launching out of the hole
Above Brock says ProS had 1.61 gear
I think the 1.68 gearing came with the 1.325 track. And think that was snowcheck option. Pretty sure these were floor models with the 1 1/4 track

The sled that raced in shoot out had 1.68 gear ratio as it was faster then the 1.61.
Two different ratios for the 2016 track choice. I thought it was a 1.61, it wasn't.
The gearing has everything to do with racing. I don't know why your so persistent with the 1.61 axyspros8???

The sled that raced in shoot out had 1.68 gear ratio as it was faster then the 1.61.
Two different ratios for the 2016 track choice. I thought it was a 1.61, it wasn't.
The gearing has everything to do with racing. I don't know why your so persistent with the 1.61 axyspros8???
I think lowering ratio in my short track is gonna hurt traction. I dont wanna regear then have to add another 60 studs. I think i should be able to get 1.6 gearing to work just as good with a little clutch tuning. Thats all. Without traction, its worthless no

Just to confirm ... and if anyone is trying to figure this out ... if the sled has a Cobra track it's a 1.68 (22/37), and if it has a Rip2 track it's a 1.61 (23/37). This is per the online parts for the Pro-S
For what it is worth that shows up on both the Rush S and Switchback S fich.

Last edited:
I think lowering ratio in my short track is gonna hurt traction. I dont wanna regear then have to add another 60 studs. I think i should be able to get 1.6 gearing to work just as good with a little clutch tuning. Thats all. Without traction, its worthless no

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom