• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Skidoo P drive clutch on Axys ?

shwantz34

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Polaris Indy 850 XC 129
Does somebody know if Skidoo P drive can be fit to Polaris Axys Model ?

It seems that most of the snap that skidoo have is clutch related,

In théories it seems logical that it have lot less restriction than a
button clutch like the Polaris. What do you think about that ?

Trust me ,you don't want it as it's over engineered junk
Many many belt issues in the 850's
The Polaris is a better primary
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

Maybe your right Brock, its a fact that BRP over engeneere a lot of stuff.
As do Yamaha and Honda in motorcycle. But the P drive ( primary clutch) clutch alone
at first glance seems logical, only change button for roller.

But i won't be the first to try it :)

Its only a no snow Sunday blues i think.....

Money much better spent tuning a P85 with proven components. Brock, I didn't study the above pics, but a quick look tells me the clutch is indexed on the crank? Or did I look at them wrong?

I remember Dave Traygstad putting ski doo clutches on prostock 800 Xcr's back in the day.

The fixed sheave has a 0.024" hi spot that's built in
It's timed with firing order .

Just waaaaaaaaay to over complicated for a simple cvt system if you ask me . The cvt is the most simple ,most effective transmission in the world . Just leave it be

Brp's reasoning is the decrease vibration to the driver. My god!!!
Is everyone a pussy who rides sleds now ??
The 850 does vibrate bad though. Just as bad as the fusion

Just put in softer motor mounts, fill the steering and handle bars with foam, put a softer seat on it , line the foot wells with rubber damping lining and call it a day , lol

Sat on a 850 XRS renny at the lake Geneva races and it was like sitting on a bowl of jello. So squishy. How you ride a performance sled with that beats me

The doo clutch has a D shape where it goes on so it only goes on one way for the counter balance effect above. Just plain not going to work on a polaris

Also I think there is way more to the Snap and instant throttle response the Doo have. There motor is just way more advanced, have the intake fuel injector and it just way more high tech then polaris.

The doo clutch has a D shape where it goes on so it only goes on one way for the counter balance effect above. Just plain not going to work on a polaris
That's what I meant by indexed

Pound for pound, it's hard to beat the efficiency of the Polaris primary. It's so simple , but works .

Most of the cat guys on the pro circuit ran Polaris clutching when I was involved

Is the doo easier to click rpm on tra, yes

But not with the set screw weights like dalton or cutlers IT's or TM's . pulling a set screw out/in without taking anything apart is easy with these weights .

Pound for pound, it's hard to beat the efficiency of the Polaris primary. It's so simple , but works .

Most of the cat guys on the pro circuit ran Polaris clutching when I was involved

But not with the set screw weights like dalton or cutlers IT's or TM's . pulling a set screw out/in without taking anything apart is easy with these weights .

yeah your right on this one
very simple to work on a Polaris clutch

Not here to stir the pot or start an argument...but...the Polaris primary is an outdated design. The basic design has not changed since 1985 and the original internal design has been the same since the early 70's. Sure it's had many minor updates along the way but nothing revolutionary such as Doo's current design. Doo just took the P-85 design and updated it. The best thing they did was to add the adjustable (clickers) heel to the weights. Easy way to adjust for changing conditions! Polaris really needs to redesign their primary such as Doo did. At least give credit to Doo for trying. They still have some bugs to work out but I bet over time this clutch will be very reliable. The current P-85 works fine on smaller displacement sleds. It doesn't last on the current 800 twin motor. Let's face it...big displacement twins vibrate and have violent torque pulses...which in turn wear out the P-85 quickly. It's a known fact that by 2500 miles, the current P-85 is worn and needs to be rebuilt. ( had mine rebuit this year at 2200 miles...it was rattling and very worn) The prior generation Doo clutch was no better. Polaris could easily redesign this clutch. Adding a 4th weight/tower would be a step in the right direction. Get rid of the buttons and add a roller....the list goes on. Yes Brock, I agree...the P-85 is efficient, but not good enough to hold up to the current high HP 800 motor. I know Polaris has something coming for 2019. It better not have a P-85 on it.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

The clutch is only as good as it's internals , alloys ,bushings, rollers , etc. That goes for this new doo primary.

High hp (220+)sleds have been using the P85 for years and years with no issues. It's well built and simple. The key is having tight tolerances on the P85 and perfectly balanced. Perfectly balanced primary works very smooth and it's night to day over one from factory balance. Seen this on the pro drag circuit for years with no issues.

Does the P85 need an update? Yes , I agree. It could replace the buttons with rollers for one. And , for the trail tuners , give them adjustability. I agree.

I'm not sold on 4+ rollers . The 3 triangular roller design is the strongest.

Polaris rides something that works to death. It's all about the bottom line and we all know that. The P85 is a perfect example of this.

The doo primary might turn out to be a good one after a few years?? We'll see??

Also, the 3 roller designed secondary P2 works very well over the 2 roller designed team . That's cuz of the triangular strength. Just putting that out there

HP is not the issue with clutch wear. Ever wonder why triples and 4 cylinder's are easier on clutches and belts than twins? It's all about the torque pulses produced every 360 degrees of rotation. Twins have 2 pulses(every 180 degrees) for every rotation of the clutch. These pulses are stronger and more violent than a triple(every 120 degrees of rotation) or 4 cylinder(every 90 degrees of rotation). This torque pulse causes the clutch to speed up and slow down violently during every complete rotation of the clutch. This causes the belt to slip which produces heat, which wears the clutch, and leads to blown belts. Doo uses a large rubber damper on the end of the clutch to help reduce this. Now they have added some offset (high spot) to help reduce it even more. If Polaris would redesign their primary specifically for a twin cylinder engine(ATV's included), the results would be better for everyone. Or bring back a triple!

Back
Top Bottom