• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Speedometer Quit Working

Johnsong

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2002 Polaris 800 XC, 2002 550 Classic
02 800 XC speedometer quit working. I checked cable and speedometer with a drill and they both work. Is it possible to easily change housing that lower end of cable screws into? Any other ideas?

02 800 XC speedometer quit working. I checked cable and speedometer with a drill and they both work. Is it possible to easily change housing that lower end of cable screws into? Any other ideas?

I would guess it sheared a speedo key. Post a picture of what the bottom ends screws into. If its like the old school speedo set, I am sure it twisted off the key.

I would guess it sheared a speedo key. Post a picture of what the bottom ends screws into. If its like the old school speedo set, I am sure it twisted off the key.
Attached is a photo of lower end the cable screws into. Would I be able to take 3 nuts off and replace or is it more difficult than That?
20180226_155134.jpg

Attached is a photo of lower end the cable screws into. Would I be able to take 3 nuts off and replace or is it more difficult than That?
View attachment 2389

Yes, thats it. Remove the nuts in the 3 corners and under that you will see a square key they will be sheared. Part of the key sticks into the shaft and part will stick into the little speedo gear box. Sometime that little gear box gets stuck and shears the key.

Do I just need to get key from dealer? Nothing will fall apart when I remove 3 nuts and take off? No seal or oil behind it?

Should be nothing unless the bearing failed.. that could be the problem too. Just pull it off and take a look. Nothing is going to pop out at you. I shouldnt say nothing, you might have some grease in the cup.

Should be nothing unless the bearing failed.. that could be the problem too. Just pull it off and take a look. Nothing is going to pop out at you. I shouldnt say nothing, you might have some grease in the cup.

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.

You're probably going to find a bad bearing and a sheared off cable from the 90 degree gearbox to the end of the driveshaft.
What happens is when the bearing goes bad, the driveshaft isn't lined up anymore with the gearbox. That shears off the key. A very common problem on older speedometer cable driven sleds. I hope I'm wrong, but it the most likely scenario.

You're probably going to find a bad bearing and a sheared off cable from the 90 degree gearbox to the end of the driveshaft.
What happens is when the bearing goes bad, the driveshaft isn't lined up anymore with the gearbox. That shears off the key. A very common problem on older speedometer cable driven sleds. I hope I'm wrong, but it the most likely scenario.

Took it apart today and you're right on the money. Bearing was completely worn out and in many pieces. Hope drive shaft wasn't damaged. Be a few days to get it fixed. Thanks for the help.

As long as the inner race of the bearing didn't spin on the driveshaft, you'll be fine. Time to pull the driveshaft out and press off the old bearing and press a new one on. You could hammer the old one off, but use a press to install the new one. The last thing you want to do is tweak the new bearing by using shortcut methods to install the bearing. Good luck.

As long as the inner race of the bearing didn't spin on the driveshaft, you'll be fine. Time to pull the driveshaft out and press off the old bearing and press a new one on. You could hammer the old one off, but use a press to install the new one. The last thing you want to do is tweak the new bearing by using shortcut methods to install the bearing. Good luck.

Well, I have a working speedo again. Replaced both driveshaft bearings, speedo key and bushing. One bearing was completely in pieces, replaced the other and changed chain case oil as well.

Well, I have a working speedo again. Replaced both driveshaft bearings, speedo key and bushing. One bearing was completely in pieces, replaced the other and changed chain case oil as well.

Awesome job!! Thank god the speedo key sheared.. it could have been worse.

I have a 2002 Polaris xc sp 700 edge and my speedometer stopped working been like that for like 2 years now because I don't know how to fix it, It happened before and I brought it to a dealer to fix it which he did and not all that long afterwards it broke again, now I'm trying to figure out how to fix this problem myself, anyone cares to help me fix this issue? thanks

It’s either your gear drive for the speedo is dirty and binds or your cable to the speedo is dirty and binding. Sounds like you keep shearing the key.

It’s either your gear drive for the speedo is dirty and binds or your cable to the speedo is dirty and binding. Sounds like you keep shearin

how would I go about fixing this problem wihtout having to spend money on a dealer to fix it? any help would be greatly appreciated

Follow the speedo cable from The guage to the drive below secondary and take it apart. Lol

I took apart the drive to get at the speed cable, when I took the housing off no key fell out. The end of the cable doesn't appear dirty or damaged, put a drill on one end of the cable in reverse and the speed worked with a drill on the speedometer. Where no key fell out of the drive I'm thinking it is cracked of inside I just now put a nail in there to see and the nail hits something the nail isn't going in very far I'm trying to think of a way to get that cracked key out

I took apart the drive to get at the speed cable, when I took the housing off no key fell out. The end of the cable doesn't appear dirty or damaged, put a drill on one end of the cable in reverse and the speed worked with a drill on the speedometer. Where no key fell out of the drive I'm thinking it is cracked of inside I just now put a nail in there to see and the nail hits something the nail isn't going in very far I'm trying to think of a way to get that cracked key out

Thats a tough one.. you can try using a pick or an scratch all and poke at it to see if you can get anything to grab it..

Back
Top Bottom