• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

TJ's 2020 - 20201 Seasonal log thread / modification thread

I’d say yes for sure it is. Great gains just from a belt!
Be curious what the durometer of your belt would be compared to the stock belt. I know when the Polaris 1075 belt was the norm it was a soft belt reasonably talking and could easily hold up to 180 HP in trail conditions.

Be curious what the durometer of your belt would be compared to the stock belt. I know when the Polaris 1075 belt was the norm it was a soft belt reasonably talking and could easily hold up to 180 HP in trail conditions.

Yes it would be nice to know the difference. That sort of science is over my head to find out such information though.

I am always interested in running the stickier belts myself I find they feel much more connected to ones thumb.

Yes it would be nice to know the difference. That sort of science is over my head to find out such information though.

I am always interested in running the stickier belts myself I find they feel much more connected to ones thumb.
Take your pick search amazon durometer gauges, the lower the number the softer the belt. Check it on each side and if it's a used belt scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad

50745470197_f9274614f1_m.jpg

Last edited:
Take your pick search amazon durometer gauges, the lower the number the softer the belt. Check it on each side and if it's a used belt scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad

50745470197_f9274614f1_m.jpg

That's cool I had no idea those existed!

I finished off my wrap this morning just in time for Xmas break. I honestly cannot say enough good things about ArcticFX they were not my first choice I was trying to deal with a Canadian company and after numberous attempts I gave up. Started playing with their sled wrapper online and when the Black Friday deal was on I was sold.

Fast forward the wrap and proofs were done extremely quickly and arrived in j see 2 weeks even with the huge Black Friday rush. I can honestly say I’ve used many companies in the past and going forward ArcticFX will always now be my first choice. This wrap has the best vinyl and most complete coverage and best fitting pieces I’ve ever used!

Color is much more vivid and vibrant in person.

50754471918_eb652e8fc3_k.jpg

50755205721_1beecf3c3e_k.jpg

Last edited:
On topic of rpm. We spent some time on the dyno yesterday with my buddies 850. With original 20 mapping. Pulled a lil fuel out and ran 171-172. Target rpm was Anywhere between 8100-8200 but Only short a lil but at 8000. And by 8300 was dropping right off. 7900 is a bit low imo. . 8150 or minus the 50 is the magic. At least with that tune on that sled. Which is where Ive been saying my 20 runs without being on dyno. Just going by mph , et. And a barometer sled. To run against. That number was very safe on fuel and probably could have leaned on it more.

Last edited:
It made 168 from 7800 up to 8000 then it jumped to 170plus at at 8100 and 169 at 82.
Tq. 7700 114
78. 113
9. 111
8000. 111
81 110
82. 109

Last edited:
Back up pull. Was
HP.
78-172
79-172.7
80-173
81-171 .3
82- 171.5.
TQ
76 -115
77-116
78-116
79-114.8
8 -113.7
81- 109.8.
So. I’m an rpm guy I like to spin me a bit. Opinions very on this. But it what I like . So if you can have em pin 79 and then overrun to 8100-8150. Thatvis what I would do. And that’s where my and his sleds are the fastest. Where the rubber meets the ground. Obviously clutching methods etc may vary on this result.

Spending some more time on my assault I am honestly shocked at something that I didn’t think was a big deal until now. The balance point on the sled is so perfect on the Polaris in that you are literally on the balance point of the sled. All the G4’s I’ve owned are front weight bias and this makes them feel heavier than they are. The matryx is so dynamic in that you can literally control the sled so well with body English and position it’s remarkable. The engine is getting more potent and hitting harder I am really happy with just how fast it revs. The response of the engine coupled with the light ending fast response to rider input is amazing. I have not had a single groomed trail ride so no comment on trail manners but plowed roads you can fly and rail corners.

Jamie did you get your fuel type to stay on Non-lethal. Had a similar issue with my wife's old sled. Everything on her gauge would work fine but the clock would always need to be reset when the sled was turned off. Plugged the gauge into another sled and no problem. Plugged it back into her sled made sure the plug was fully plugged in and didn't have any issue after that. It would only effect the clock before that.
I'm banned on HCS now for posting Spam for other snowmobile sites.

Jamie did you get your fuel type to stay on Non-lethal. Had a similar issue with my wife's old sled. Everything on her gauge would work fine but the clock would always need to be reset when the sled was turned off. Plugged the gauge into another sled and no problem. Plugged it back into her sled made sure the plug was fully plugged in and didn't have any issue after that. It would only effect the clock before that.
I'm banned on HCS now for posting Spam for other snowmobile sites.

Funny you mentioned it my clock keeps getting the time screwed up. I set it and the damn thing keeps changing. I’m going to reflash the gauge software and see if that cures it.

My fuel type changed 3 times yesterday. It’s about a 50-100 rpm difference. I am loving the quick revving engine.

I'm at 662 miles on the Assault as of writing this. I have been actively analyzing the sled and making comparisons to what I have around me to judge the Assault by. The closest sled I currently have up North is a 2020 Backcountry 850. We also have 3 other Matryx Assaults to compare to each other as well. My neighbor has my 2019 Backcountry 850 which was a rocket, and there are various RMK's and Freerides around as well I ride with.

I have posted this elsewhere but I will post it again here. This is bare none the best handling / cornering sled I have owned since the old trailing arm sleds that were low to the ground. I cannot say enough about the handling. The ride is decent the Assault is a bit stiff but it could also be the seat that gives that perception on the Doo as the seats are much softer.

Here is my quick Pro / Con list of things after the first miles have gone on.

Pro's
Handling - Unreal handling, sled is ultra easy to ride, go fast, hold lines and manipulate with your body
Steering - Extremely precise but not nervous its perfect, and good bite from stock skis under a variety of conditions
7S Display - Excellent operation, intuitive, and easy to use. ( we are experiencing a glitch where the fuel type switches on its own on all our sleds)
Headlight - Needed to be turned up a lot it was too low but now its very good and I like it
Shocks - These are the best out of the box shocks I've had in a while they really work well IMO
Smart warmers - Unbelievable these are the warmest hand warmers I have ever had
Wind Protection - Again great job Polaris these sleds are warm to ride
Cooling system - The sled runs very consistent and cools very well
Fit and Finish - Excellent the panels fit very well, if I were to nit pick I think the hood could use another couple fasteners it rattles a bit on really hard stuff like frozen slush
No fouled plugs
The left hand controls are excellent easy to use and executed very well

Con's
VS 850 Etec the Polaris 840 lacks the mid range grunt of the ski-doo I do miss this a fair bit.
The seat when it gets snow on it is very slippery I would like to see grippier material and while there at it add 1" of softer foam to the seat top
Running boards could be 1" wider on both sides to me anyways
I still find the steering post angle to be a little too straight up and down to be perfect (For me) because the bars turn into your chest more then down into your hip like a Doo this creates a bit of an awkward wrist position on tight right corners
The throttle I don't love I find it to be a bit long for my hands and its a bit of a reach for me but I am getting used to it. I do prefer the ski-doo shape better
None of our sleds (3 Assaults) have very warm thumb warmers even cranked to 158* I put a small piece of foam tape on the back side of mine but it doesn't really make a difference
7S software glitch causing fuel type to change while riding with no sign of detonation
I have a pull start sled and it takes 1-4 pulls to start every time, sometimes I have to give it throttle to start I don't like this. It should start first pull every time.
Clutching is off from the factory a fair bit.

That's about it for now or at least that's all I can think of.

50788724513_5bf73a6cb6_k.jpg

50798879298_61cb45f766_k.jpg

50799743347_1cb5f41db8_k.jpg

50798879368_7377af4fa6_k.jpg

50799627051_4bbe8c14da_k.jpg

50798879603_bd3ba11205_k.jpg

50799743807_949fe9b669_k.jpg

50798880078_dbc08ed3e0_k.jpg

50798880138_9c05225c01_k.jpg

50799627996_b7e50d3ec1_k.jpg

50798880593_715183ef86_k.jpg

50799627766_6ab56e55f9_k.jpg

50799628121_b026f094a4_k.jpg

50799756712_4817e2a64e_k.jpg

Last edited:
1800 km as of today:

Ran with 3 Assaukts today and 1 850 Etec. My sled with clutching is top dog. Ran with the 850 Etec out front all day. Same liters at the pump each time! Got home after 224 miles Etec was almost empty on oil (full before we left) my Poo was 1/2” above the add line.

Great day to be out! Love the matryx more and more. Buddy with the 850 Etec renegade wants an assault now.

1800 km as of today:

Ran with 3 Assaukts today and 1 850 Etec. My sled with clutching is top dog. Ran with the 850 Etec out front all day. Same liters at the pump each time! Got home after 224 miles Etec was almost empty on oil (full before we left) my Poo was 1/2” above the add line.

Great day to be out! Love the matryx more and more. Buddy with the 850 Etec renegade wants an assault now.
That's great your able to ride and nice report. We were going to go into the UP this weekend but a friend was up mid week and told us not to come up. Actually possible looking at a trip out West (Montana Wyoming) if things don't turn around in the next week or 2. Going crazy not being able to ride. Keep coming with the reports.

Funny you mentioned it my clock keeps getting the time screwed up. I set it and the damn thing keeps changing. I’m going to reflash the gauge software and see if that cures it.

My fuel type changed 3 times yesterday. It’s about a 50-100 rpm difference. I am loving the quick revving engine.
Jamie has your dealer opened up a case for you that the fuel grade is changing back to ethanol without your input. Read were others have seen this and there may an update but dealers are asking customers to let them know so they can open up a case for them.

Jamie I see your on Hardcore asking about the raise between the VR1 and Assault the Assault rise is taller. What you could also like at is the adjustable risers that may help dial the bars in better

Back
Top Bottom