• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Water Pump impeller clearance?

nomorecash

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1998 Polaris RMK 600
I have a 1998 Polaris RMK 600 that I am putting back together. The water pump was shot so I took it down to the Polaris shop to have the bearings and seals pressed off and new ones back on. I didn't leave the impeller with them. Once I got it back, I went to put on the impeller on and torque it to the the 10 ft/lb required and found that the impeller now rubs on the inner casting of the housing making it difficult to turn the drive spinning the impeller. What should the clearance be between the impeller and the housing casting be? should I shim it out with another washer or take it back in and see if they can press everything a fraction of an inch more to put the shaft further into the water pump housing?
Thanks for any input and your time answering!

You should bring it back and have them fix it. I'm "pretty sure" if you put it back together exactly the way it came apart with the washers in the same places you can't mess it up. So maybe washers in the wrong places or bearings not seated properly. You should bring the impeller with.

Thanks, That is what I did, took it back. Everything was there, washers ,etc... We found if a second washer was added we could get the clearance I need. Thanks again for the feed back!

Back
Top Bottom