• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

avid 9 teeth 2,86 pitch

doing the math it shows the larger drivers will pull the rear axle forward approx. .8"

That’s exactly what I was looking for thanks so much. How did you figure out that number?

I took the circumference difference of 8t vs 9t = 2.86. You have approximately 55% of useable circumference on the drivers. 2.86 * .55 = 1.573 . So the 9t setup uses 1.573 more track. 1” of Rear axle centerline movement nets you 2” of track( 1” on the bottom and 1” on the top). So 1.573/2= .786 of need re axle movement. This is approximate .

Drew13, what sled do you have your trying to do this to? I have larger drivers and idlers on my 2016 Pro-S Switchback (9T 2.52P drivers and 136" track) and 2021 VR1 Matryx (9T 2.86P drivers and 137" track).

I will be doing it on a Matryx assault 146 (2.86). Great to know you have already done it. So what will need to be done to get everything to fit? Thanks so much

I will be doing it on a Matryx assault 146 (2.86). Great to know you have already done it. So what will need to be done to get everything to fit? Thanks so much

You might need to do it in phases, but step one which should provide the biggest benefit is getting 9T 2.86P drivers. You can get those from Avid or Velocity Sled Performance. My recommendation if at all possible, is get them lightened up first (I think Velocity Sled Performance might sell them that way with holes drilled in the drivers to reduce some mass). The material used for the aftermarket drivers is heavier than the OEM, so keeping the rotating mass down is a good thing.

Bigger drivers will move your rear idlers forward more, should be enough adjustment to fit the drivers in there. You will then need to re-gear accordingly depending on your goals. Let the track stretch out, after about 300-500 miles it likely won't stretch any more. Then depending on room, you might be able to fit in larger 8" rear idlers. Velocity Sled Performance or others like TKI sell offset axles. On some occasions you might need to take some material off the rear tips of your rails to fit in the larger rear idlers so the rails don't hit the track. I'm not sure on the Assault if that will be the case or not.

I just finished installing the larger drivers and like trdehmer said everything fit. It’s extremely tight right now with the stock wheels in but that will change once the track stretches. If I’m able to squeeze in 8” wheels I’m almost sure the rails will have to be trimmed.

I just finished installing the larger drivers and like trdehmer said everything fit. It’s extremely tight right now with the stock wheels in but that will change once the track stretches. If I’m able to squeeze in 8” wheels I’m almost sure the rails will have to be trimmed.

So you put in 10T 2.52P drivers or the 9T 2.86P drivers?

If it's super tight with the drivers in and stock rear idlers you might not be able to fit in bigger wheels even if you cut the rails, the reason is you'll likely run out of adjustment room - either way, to go larger rear idlers you'll need an offset axle. Velocity Sled Performance makes a custom offset axle and sells idler wheels to work with their offset axle - might be the easiest route to take if you want to use larger rear idlers.

I put in a 9 tooth 2.86. I have an offset axle from avid sitting here I’m just waiting to see how much the track stretches and what I end up with for adjustment. It seems that even with an offset you lose a little bit of adjustment (loosening),not a lot but when things are so tight every little bit makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom