• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

gates vs polaris belt

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
IMAG0500_1.jpg
IMAG0499_1.jpg

The measurements don't lie.

0.050" wider is huge brand new. I'd say 3+ mph on top for guessamation from my findings over the years.
Will the gate's belt last and take the punishment though?? A few guy's have some miles on these and could chime in .:)

We can't get these in Ontario yet so I bought one from my good friend drnotadoo late in the season and didn't get to test yet. $75.00 us is about $90.00 Canadian. If it works and performs well, I'm going to be a gates buyer.

I do know the Polaris belts for these axys models are inconsistent and I'm not liking them so far on the performance side. If you have a brand new poo belt, I suggest you ride alone for 20 to 30 miles and break it in very easy,(no hard wot pulls). They are way to expensive and need to be broken in lightly.

I'm glad we have some choices:)

I managed to acquire a Gates belt at Haydays from a friend who got one for me. My personal experience is that mine measured 1.470 brand new. I now have around 800 miles on it and it measures 1.463 wide. Very good wear in 800 miles imo. You'll also need to add 2 more grams of weight to your primary as it is a harder compound than the Polaris belt.

Big, I am not doubting you. BUT! Harder than the AXYS800 oem belt? It must be Krpytonite!

Lol, kryptonite.

I doubt fuse had a durometer but he doesn't lie about his experiencesDiv20

I agree, the only polaris belt we have to chose from is a hard compound. I personally don't like it on consistency and performance. I think the 26 degree sheaves come into play here to though.

If I was polaris,I would change back to 28 degree primary sheaves and have a couple different compounds of belts again. I bet the most slippage would be gone.
just sayinRockon

opps tryin to figure this all out. not the best on a putor.

any hoo--I wonder IF, some of my success with my AXYS stems from having INDY Dan cutting the sheaves? I talked to him and he said he cuts the to 26 degrees, just like the past.

Ed, thats good to know! Now ,when you had the sheaves cut/refinished by Dan, was it just for a better surface, or did you say you want over drive?

Now, what about the oem belt? Isn't it meant for the 28* sheaves?

Last edited:
Ed, thats good to know! Now ,when you had the sheaves cut/refinished by Dan, was it just for a better surface, or did you say you want over drive?

Now, what about the oem belt? Isn't it meant for the 28* sheaves?
Indy Dan never cut my sheaves. If I remember correctly the oem belt is 26 degrees.

Indy Dan never cut my sheaves. If I remember correctly the oem belt is 26 degrees.
OOPS! several adult beverages this afternoon while I am watching the STL Cardinals game, and I thought fastsledders post was yours. Jim, can you answer my above post.

If the gates is that much wider I would need to reshim my primary. For the first time I have ever seen,,,the clutch on my axys did not require reshimming/indexing. I'm right at .015" with a new 1177 belt.

0.050" wider is huge brand new. I'd say 3+ mph on top for guessamation from my findings over the years.
Will the gate's belt last and take the punishment though?? A few guy's have some miles on these and could chime in .:)

We can't get these in Ontario yet so I bought one from my good friend drnotadoo late in the season and didn't get to test yet. $75.00 us is about $90.00 Canadian. If it works and performs well, I'm going to be a gates buyer.

I do know the Polaris belts for these axys models are inconsistent and I'm not liking them so far on the performance side. If you have a brand new poo belt, I suggest you ride alone for 20 to 30 miles and break it in very easy,(no hard wot pulls). They are way to expensive and need to be broken in lightly.

Good to hear. I had heard good reports on the gates belts from the Doo camp. So went ahead picked one up on sale for $68!! Why the hell I didn't get 2!?Dunno lol

For those of us coming out of camp Yamaha, stock belts can present quite the sticker shock.Eek

Not much luck in a online search for the Gates belt. I have pm'd TG on the other site about them. Anyone know of online stock?

Not much luck in a online search for the Gates belt. I have pm'd TG on the other site about them. Anyone know of online stock?
They're really hard to find on line now but apparently they're supposed to be easier to find this fall. I hope so as I'm trying to get three at Haydays.

Ed, did you check your belt clearance in the primary with the Gates, Before any reshimming? If so what did you find?

Ed, did you check your belt clearance in the primary with the Gates, Before any reshimming? If so what did you find?
I didn't check anything as I had read that no matter which shim was removed that you couldn't get the sheaves within one inch of each other. A friend of mine will be taking care of that this summer as he has a Gates belt and will be reshimming, machining, and rebalancing my primary to get the belt to the top. My stock Polaris belt wouldn't even go to the top of the primary. I could never wipe off the felt marker with the stock Polaris belt. The Gates belt that I had on mine wiped the felt marker right off. Hope this helps Dave. Div20

I just measured my oem AXYS belts. My used one that has 1,700 miles on it measures 1.413 across the top cogs, new unused spare measures 1.422. Using my digital caliper.

I just measured my oem AXYS belts. My used one that has 1,700 miles on it measures 1.413 across the top cogs, new unused spare measures 1.422. Using my digital caliper.
Wow yours are narrower than mine were! Not by much tho.

View attachment 387 View attachment 388

Looks like Polaris may be sitting on a lot of belts. :rolleyes:

Lot of variance. Measurement's can be subjective though. One guy may put a little more/less pressure on the thumbwheel of the caliper, different calipers also. Kind of like guys all using different compression gauges and having different numbers. My used one only measure .004 less that the one Brock posted above. I am guessing his was new. My new one is .006 wider than his above.

I didn't check anything as I had read that no matter which shim was removed that you couldn't get the sheaves within one inch of each other. A friend of mine will be taking care of that this summer as he has a Gates belt and will be reshimming, machining, and rebalancing my primary to get the belt to the top. My stock Polaris belt wouldn't even go to the top of the primary. I could never wipe off the felt marker with the stock Polaris belt. The Gates belt that I had on mine wiped the felt marker right off. Hope this helps Dave. Div20
I have a very large variety of shims I use,,,some homemade. I can whip up just about any combination. When I index a clutch I don't pick my clearance. I get as close to .015" as I can while keeping the sheaves within the 1" allowed for balance.

Back
Top Bottom