• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Testing TPS with multimeter?

All good bud.

Keep the good information flowingDiv20

Just thinking random thoughts so I may be all over

Polaris says the throttle bodies are flow benched. Are they flowed for sync or idle air flow?
If idle then we should leave the idle screw alone and just move the tps to idle spec? ECU reads idle to wot so why is base so important?

I wonder when the factory sets the tps, I really doubt they do it after its in the sled and ready to run. My point being each particular sled components may read the tps different. Is this why so many are off spec?

I believe I read that some tps have a different total sweep? Maybe this doesn't matter if the ecu is looking for certain wot voltage and ignore or call extra reading wot anyway. On my sled the bullydog reads 100% throttle when it still has a bit of travel to go wot. Bullydog reads the info off the diagnostic port that the digital wrench uses. Is it reading what the ecu is? Is it as accurate as DW?

How close is the PCV when reading tps voltage compared to the DW. I believe the PCV reads the tps itself, not what the ecu is reading. I am basing this off the difference between the PCV and Bullydog readings.

I am thinking more than I can type so time to quit
I expect some complete accurate answers to the questions:)

I believe the two bold statements above to be important. The TPS numbers in DW (and from the BullyDog-should be the same) are a "digital" value in the ECU and are based on the 5v reference signal that particular ECU is sending out and and the way that particular ECU does Analog to Digital conversion of the TPS signal coming back into the ECU (and this is the important part...) TO THREE DECIMAL PLACES!!! Seems like the ECU programming is VERY sensitive to the TPS signal so the fact that we can't reliably use a Fluke and "our own" 5v reference signal to get the same results as DW does not surprise me. There is too wide a margin of variation with that method to be able mimic what DW is seeing/doing.

Just my $0.02. Feel free to ignore or flame away...

just unplugged my tps lastnight and did a reading with my multi-meter

it was 13.7 degrees Celsius,engine was cold

multi- meter reading at idle(engine not started) was 1.088
wot with multi-meter was 4.74
the range sweep 4.74
= 3.652

i know my last digital wrench reading a month ago was
idle- 0.913
wot - 4.336
range =3.423

doesn't add up

I set my tps with PCV back in Jan. then immediately had to send my PCV back as the timing feature did not work. Over a month later the replacement PCV reads different voltages than I had set it. Hmmm...PCV issue or TPS issues?

Just curious how you knew the PCV timing wasn't working?

LOL, my mistake. I thought you meant the PCV with timing was working but the timing function (adding and reducing timing) wasn't working.

My thoughts on tps on 2015 800 ho models with throttle bodies for that year were a bit off. They changed throttle bodies for a reason. My guess is not just the part number but throttle plate opening.
There is a reason I was getting the base voltage down, also get the wot down. The higher it is the the worse it is. 4.39 @wot is not recommended, but it's in Polaris specs for that year. Get the wot down to 4.32 @wot and it's better afr and bsfc.
The 2016 800 ho models get 4.20 @wot now. Seems like its a better set up. But, Polaris doesn't give a wot for this year, just idle. That tells me the 15'we're slightly off and Polaris doesn't want to admit it .

My '16 LE is in the shop(dealer) now. Last couple rides it hasn't been pulling rpms....even in 10 degree temps. Can't even pull stock 66 gram weights.....something's amiss. I did check and adjust my tps voltage using northstarrick's specs. No improvement. We'll see what the dealer finds. Sled has 2400 miles on it.

These tps are the same, so I'm guessing total sweep of about 3.62 +/- .01 hasn't changed?
That's from a 0.708 base to a 4.328 wot.
So..............

So, are you saying the best would be to set the wot down to 4.32 @wot?

What should a person with a 2015 Axys 800 set base and idle voltage at using Digital Wrench?

2015 800 axys should have a base idle of .700 and idle voltage of .913,or set the idle voltage according to RPMS, 1700 rpms.If you set a 2015 at 2016 specs [.940] its going to idle to fast .They apparently changed something to be able to use this higher idle voltage.Only base voltage changes W.O .T. VOLTAGE. These specs are for using DW,NOT A METER.

So, are you saying the best would be to set the wot down to 4.32 @wot?

What should a person with a 2015 Axys 800 set base and idle voltage at using Digital Wrench?
The lower you get a 15 axys 800 in wot voltage the better for afr and bsfc on dyno as we've seen . The total sweep (range is different) between one sled to another. That's to do with tps, and throttle bodies..
So one might be 3.628vs one at 3.630 total range. So if you add 0.700+3.628=4.328 or one at 0.700+3.630=4.33
Make sense?

I have a 2015 Axys 800 . Had idle/running quality issues since new. This is my personal experience. May not be the same for others.
Took it back to original dealer, they replaced the TPS and adjusted to Polaris specs. Running quality Issue was not corrected.

Eventually took it to a different dealer, they checked TPS settings, out of spec. So they corrected the settings. They checked and re-checked TPS over a couple days, never same reading twice. Not even close. ( using Digital Wrench).

A personal friend of the dealer owner was in town. He is an Engineer for Victory Motorcycles. His specialty is Throttle Bodies and TPS adjustments. He spent some time testing and trying to adjust the TPS. His opinion , bad throttle bodies.

My dealer replaced throttle bodies (under warranty ), adjusted base TPS to .700v and set idle to 1700 rpm.

It ran PERFECT! Pulls hard to max RPM. Fuel and oil consumption greatly improved. Idles well also.
After 1400 miles of issues and reduced performance, it rocks now.

Maybe this can help someone else.

I think that makes sense, my main thing was to understand if I should still be setting the base voltage to .700, once that is set there is nothing else to adjust right?

The lower you get a 15 axys 800 in wot voltage the better for afr and bsfc on dyno as we've seen . The total sweep (range is different) between one sled to another. That's to do with tps, and throttle bodies..
So one might be 3.628vs one at 3.630 total range. So if you add 0.700+3.628=4.328 or one at 0.700+3.630=4.33
Make sense?

I think the throttle bodies has to do with synchronization of plates, and how they flow bench tested them with tps for 15 year models.
I readjust the plates to get base voltage were it needs to be on tps on some.then synchronized And set base voltage after to check wot was no higher then 4.32 @wot. It worked

Fawk, next time on dyno I'm unplugging tps and putting a resistor in ,also coolant temp, then test.
We used to unplug tps and put a resistor in while grass dragging and worked well on dyno. I have to try this again and see what it does

I think the above post about getting new throttle bodies is the answer,but Polaris isn't going to give everybody new throttle bodies because their rpms are low.Mine pulled 8200 all year,after putting in a blue 120-300 drive clutch spring,but was it making full h.p. at 4.39 w.o.t. voltage,probably not.I don't see anyone else using this spring,every one jumps to 120-310.Im going to check tps base and wot again on dw to see if it changed in 1950 miles.While checking tps readings,im going to make some kind of a stop to be able to adjust how far the throttle plates open,[hopefrully adjustable stop] so I can change the wot voltage to where I want,[4.20 or lower] ,I don't think the throttle plates being a few thousands short of full open will make any difference .EVERY engine is different from the factory,not every engine will respond the same to clutching or w.o.t. voltage.

Back
Top Bottom