• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Where to start on MY clutching

AxysProS8

2015 ProS 800 Rush
1,1/4 track 126 woodys GD 1.325 studs
BDX/SSI Can, most likely doing pipe mod
New Gold spring in primary
200-210 Dressed
I ride wide open big trails mostly in Maine
Not ready to regear just yet.
Looking for a little more outa hole power when blipping the throttle on slow tight trails, feels a lil slow to respond when u blip it quicke. Not looking to loose mid or top end. Just looking for a little improvement for what i have now. Where do i start? And Brand Names, of parts to use would most helpful. I have the Axys alignment bar & service manual . But kinda new to doing anything to clutches. But can figure it out.
Sled always ran 8250-8450 wot

It's slow on response because of gearing from factory. The 1.61 gear ratio from factory is to tall and won't rev quick or back shift quick. If you choose not to to a a ratio that will help with quicker excelleration , then the clutching you do is going to be a band aide because of the gear ratio.
Just my 2 cents

It's slow on response because of gearing from factory. The 1.61 gear ratio from factory is to tall and won't rev quick or back shift quick. If you choose not to to a a ratio that will help with quicker excelleration , then the clutching you do is going to be a band aide because of the gear ratio.
Just my 2 cents
Im not looking of excelleration, it has that. Its response when u wack the gas for a sec. Reaction

Im not trying to start a argument, but if the 1.74 gearing was so better. Stock for stock Wouldn't the ProX be 4 sled lengths ahead of a ProS when they drag race? Every video i watched they were side by side till the S walked away on top?

For your information, the pro x is 1.86 ratio.
All the race's I've done and seen, the x destroys the s model to 800 to 1200' hands down.

You have to understand the tall gear ratio with the new primary clutch sheave degree of 13.5 don't work together. The 13.5 degree up shifts to quick, the 1.61 ratio can't keep up or compliment it. Polaris should have kept the dual angle primary degree on other models that doesn't up shift so quick. With a tall gear ratio, you can't have to quick of up shift or it will be lazy on response as you described.
I'm trying to explain this to you the best I know how for you to comprehend.

You can clutch all you want with the stock 1.61 ratio, but it will never respond quickly and the back shift suffers huge in the trails.

I can give you a set up, but it will always feel blah.....

Evey race ive seen the S walks away from the X. Anyways
Gearing down really only helps on launch, No?
So since u gear down, now u have all this power right away, what do u do about traction? Is this 1.74 tested on grass or snow?
Weather its 1.6 or 1.7 gearing the CVT is gonna adapt to the gearing change and increase the ratio so its the same. Its just gonna shift into Overdrive. No? I thought i read in a clutching book 1-1 was more efficient then Overdrive? So overall gear ratio is still the same from engine to track. But u end up loosing on top end?
Im new to playing with clutching. I always just rode the sled. Im not drag racing all day. Im trail rideing. Im basically trying to learn this , and break down your theory about regearing, if its better or worse for trail riding. So dont think im saying your wrong.
Would adding a little more spring tention in secondary make it backshift a little faster?

Didn't someone mention that Eaither SLP OR BMP says dont change gearing? Whats their reasoning behind this? I would think if regearing made auch a difference wouldn't they also recommend doing it, or saying this should also be fone with our aftermarket parts. I just cant see that there is no clutching set up that wont respond better then stock with stock gearing. I dont live in a area where i can walk out back door daily and test. So dont wanna waste my week of riding measing with stuff that isn't what im looking for.

I've regeared my pro s to 1.74 and it's gonna be nasty thru the trails. You can feel a difference down low and mid range. So much corner to corner power. Honestly regearing my sled I thought was easier then clutching it and cheaper lol. I also clutched it using brocks setup for the riding I wanted to do and man ditch it open up the sled. Engages at 4,200 and pulls like a freight train.

Well are you looking for lake top speed or trail riding. Cuz the 1.61 is gonna be your lake racing buddies gears and 1.74 will be your waxing buddies ass thru the trails 0-100 MPH in 700 feet

I've regeared my pro s to 1.74 and it's gonna be nasty thru the trails. You can feel a difference down low and mid range. So much corner to corner power. Honestly regearing my sled I thought was easier then clutching it and cheaper lol. I also clutched it using brocks setup for the riding I wanted to do and man ditch it open up the sled. Engages at 4,200 and pulls like a freight train.
Have u tried this in snow last yr? Or u just going by the feel from the grass?

Well are you looking for lake top speed or trail riding. Cuz the 1.61 is gonna be your lake racing buddies gears and 1.74 will be your waxing buddies ass thru the trails 0-100 MPH in 700 feet
Honestly i like the 1.6 for trail. I give all the doos i ride with a good run. In the wide open trails ive yet to be passed in a straight away. Just feel the backshift going slow thru a 1lane trail doing 20-30 is slow to respond when i blip throttle. I feel i should be able to wack throttle for a sec and it hook up, not hook up as im letting off throttle. So i dont think gearing has anything to do with that

I tested it in the snow last week. The little snow we've had so far. And I know it doesn't make sense but the 1.74 would help with that. Because you are already at a little higher rpms where you are making power and your motor responds quicker. That's just what I got from riding my sled. Racing someone thru the straight away in a trail not across the lake the 1.74 will give you even more of a jump on the at other guy and keep you out in front till the next corner. I also have a bikeman pipe on my sled. That really helped with throttle response. The ssi pipe mod revs quicker as well from what a couple of my buddies told me. But you pipe it you are most likely gonna have to clutch it anyways

I switched helix also. That really helped my back shifting. I let off the gas and just hit the gas and it back shifts super fast skis are already back in the air lol

I tested it in the snow last week. The little snow we've had so far. And I know it doesn't make sense but the 1.74 would help with that. Because you are already at a little higher rpms where you are making power and your motor responds quicker. That's just what I got from riding my sled. Racing someone thru the straight away in a trail not across the lake the 1.74 will give you even more of a jump on the at other guy and keep you out in front till the next corner. I also have a bikeman pipe on my sled. That really helped with throttle response. The ssi pipe mod revs quicker as well from what a couple of my buddies told me. But you pipe it you are most likely gonna have to clutch it anyways
Alright thanks, im gonna try a spring and some weight to see if it changes what im experiencing. I have BDX/SSI can, debating the pipe mod or just buy the pipe.
Thanks

I switched helix also. That really helped my back shifting. I let off the gas and just hit the gas and it back shifts super fast skis are already back in the air lol
See thats kinda what im looking for on the slower tight trails, it should be more responsive. I know its not gonna be like a quad, but it should be able to improve without gearing.
Tha
$200 for the pipe mod for 6hp you can't pass that up.
Its 250 now. I just dont want it to look like shiz after talking ahield off then back on. I guess im a little picky that way. Well see.
Thanks

Really I was just on the site the other day I thought it was still $200. Ya I'm the same way that's why I just bought the pipe. In case anything happens I still can go back to stock.

We marked off 1500' on the lake testing.
The 1.61 vs the 1.73 and 1.74 ratios.

The 1.61 ratio got 102 mph, had belt heat and was a half inch from shifting out. The 1.73 and 1.74 ratios got 108 mph in the same distance and shifted out fully with lower clutch heat then the 1.61 ratio.
That explains it all.
Up to you what you wanna do??

Using the 1.61 ratio and adding higher spring force = more friction.

Back
Top Bottom