• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Wont start without unplugging capacitor

Popo700xc

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2012 Rush 600
Hello, I have a 2012 Rush 600, ran great, stopped for lunch and came back out to find a no start issue. Hauled it back, messing around found if I unplugged the capacitor above clutch it starts, plug it back in and runs great till the next stop. Then have to unplug to get started again. Also reverse does not work now also, acts like it but quits when idles down. Compression is 124psi on both sides, checked the TPS settings .700 idle backed off, .939 setting the idle. Backed off the throttle cable some, tried new (used) capacitor and voltage regulator-no help. Cleaned the valves. No CEL or codes showing. ANY HELP PLEASE!!!!

850Switchback

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2020 Switchback XCR
Thats odd, didnt think it would even start without the capacitor. Did you do the charge decay test on both the capacitors to make sure they are both good?

Popo700xc

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2012 Rush 600
Not sure about that test so probably no I didnt. I cant find the second capacitor that is listed in the parts diagram, this is what looks to be a smaller capacitor just in the harness. Is there a capacitor in the hood harness? I will search the charge decay test and see what I get. thanks

850Switchback

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2020 Switchback XCR
1642102239000.png

Popo700xc

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2012 Rush 600
Should it drain completely or hold some charge? Any idea where the other capacitor is located? Thanks for your help @850Switchback

850Switchback

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2020 Switchback XCR
It doesn't matter how much it drains, the rate it drains at is the important part. Should be pretty slow. If its quick or doesnt charge at all then its no good.
The wiring diag shows the second one on the sled somewhere in the speedo loop so its not relevant to the problems you have.
By both I meant the 2 capacitors, original and used one, that you have.
Polaris doesnt describe the system operation in the service manuals hardly at all, its all on the dealers software, but it would make sense that this cap is to keep the fuel pump alive when going into reverse.

Popo700xc

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2012 Rush 600
It doesn't matter how much it drains, the rate it drains at is the important part. Should be pretty slow. If its quick or doesnt charge at all then its no good.
The wiring diag shows the second one on the sled somewhere in the speedo loop so its not relevant to the problems you have.
By both I meant the 2 capacitors, original and used one, that you have.
Polaris doesnt describe the system operation in the service manuals hardly at all, its all on the dealers software, but it would make sense that this cap is to keep the fuel pump alive when going into reverse.
I tested the original, dropped maybe a .01 volt every 2 to 3 seconds so sounds ok??
I also tested the voltage going to the capacitor at idle had about 6 volts. Do you know what the voltage going to the capacitor should be?
Have not replaced the voltage regulator up front by the coils.
Thanks

850Switchback

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2020 Switchback XCR
That drop rate sounds good, so the capacitor isn't the problem. The 6v input however is no good, should be 12-14v. There is a open plug near the primary clutch marked "DC power", check for 12-14v at that plug. You might have to rev the motor off idle when checking to wake up the stator output.
Dont worry about the other regulator, thats the AC power circuit (lights/handwarmers). The one in the clutch cover is the DC side.

Popo700xc

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2012 Rush 600
That drop rate sounds good, so the capacitor isn't the problem. The 6v input however is no good, should be 12-14v. There is a open plug near the primary clutch marked "DC power", check for 12-14v at that plug. You might have to rev the motor off idle when checking to wake up the stator output.
Dont worry about the other regulator, thats the AC power circuit (lights/handwarmers). The one in the clutch cover is the DC side.
Checked that plug and have 14.4 volts. Drove today for an hour no issues after starting it.
Everything works as it should.
Really getting me stumped.

850Switchback

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2020 Switchback XCR
Yeah I'm out of ideas too other than chase out the capacitor wiring and see why its only getting 6v, The diagram below should help. Maybe something happened at one of the splices.
1642305914911.png

Top Bottom