• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Adjustable weights who's using them and what brand

The 11 might be good in 500-600 they just don’t seem to produce top end pull at a farther distance. I’ve used them in the past and lost on the big end.

I have the Dalton weights QAP 4’s with loaded to 74g in the tips and a 3/8” screw in the heels. Factory belt 1.5” track. I am finally seeing 8100/8150 every time I smash on it. Sometimes down low 8200 if it spins. Response is insane I LOVE how quick and hard this sled revs. Putting around 6 lengths on a stock sled in 8” of fresh snow and creeps away up top! PUMPED!

I have the Dalton weights QAP 4’s with loaded to 74g in the tips and a 3/8” screw in the heels. Factory belt 1.5” track. I am finally seeing 8100/8150 every time I smash on it. Sometimes down low 8200 if it spins. Response is insane I LOVE how quick and hard this sled revs. Putting around 6 lengths on a stock sled in 8” of fresh snow and creeps away up top! PUMPED!
Do you still have the stock spring in the primary. Finally had a chance to ride mine. I'm at 73 grams SLP but have a sled werx primary Green Yellow 122/285 and at about 8100 stock 2ndary with bearing in. I only have 2 hrs on the sled so going wait until it's out of break in

Do you still have the stock spring in the primary. Finally had a chance to ride mine. I'm at 73 grams SLP but have a sled werx primary Green Yellow 122/285 and at about 8100 stock 2ndary with bearing in. I only have 2 hrs on the sled so going wait until it's out of break in

Stock primary spring. I have a Dalton Green to put in which is a 120 lbs start vs the stock 150 lbs start.

Just an FYI the stock spring is a long spring uninstalled and kind of a bitch to reinstall.
I found that out lol. I was debating on getting the zrp front cover for it as well. I’m loving the quick response this thing just begs to be ripped on.

I found that out lol. I was debating on getting the zrp front cover for it as well. I’m loving the quick response this thing just begs to be ripped on.
To change weights I have a bar that I put between the spider and outside sheave to ply the clutch closed and drop an old weight between a roller and weight to hold the clutch closed. Change two weights then move the weight thats holding the clutch closed over and change the 3rd weight.

I had the QAP5 weights in my 850 and tried different combinations all around 76 grams. A simple set of fixed 76 gram Belly Busters was much better IMO.
Tuners I've talked with say the 850 isn't happy with the QAP5 because of it's profile. These same tuners recomend the QAP4 over the QAP5 for the 850. (( I agree ))
Gonna try the SLP Magnums this year and have a set of QAP4's if the Magnums don't have me impressed?

I have the QAP 4s and love them. The 850 responds well to them. I know Northstar Rick says says the Magnums work even better and he definitely knows his clutching. Anybody know if he’s on this site? I used to talk to him on the site that banned everyone lol.

Ever since the AXYS came out, anytime I've messed around with the primary weights or springs I've just slowly backed out the primary cover bolts and able to get the cover off that way (without taking the primary off or using a clutch tool). Is this new primary spring really that much stiffer? I haven't touched my clutching yet because I haven't ridden the sled, but I have a couple primary springs to use .... if needed ... and the removal of the cover makes weight removal/install super easy. If it's really that much of a difference, I'll go back to the old method similar to what Doug mentioned above, with a pry bar.

It has a higher engagement yes but it's also about .50 longer. The service manual gives the free lenght and it's one of the longest springs. You really have to push on the cover and make sure its aligned with the center shaft of the clutch just to get the bolts to start. It's much easier if you leave the spring in and pry the clutch closed.

It has a higher engagement yes but it's also about .50 longer. The service manual gives the free lenght and it's one of the longest springs. You really have to push on the cover and make sure its aligned with the center shaft of the clutch just to get the bolts to start. It's much easier if you leave the spring in and pry the clutch closed.

I'm no stranger to using the pry bar option ... I just found the lighter spring on the AXYS (800) made the removal of the clutch cover super easy.

The new spring is a struggle for sure. I’ve found a 4-5 mph difference in the qap4 depending where the weight is. I have a 3/8 and 5/8 screw all the way in the tip and the shorter of the two longest screws in the heels hanging out as far as they can. I don’t have any tungsten here but I’m betting that if I can run a tungsten in the tip with the same heel will rip!

I do find the engagement jerky trying to creep through a portage trail. I’d like to shim my spider but I’m going to try the lower engagement spring today first.

When I seen that change to a 150, that’s the 1st thing I thought would happen when putting around. Just not smooth when going slow. I bet the lower engagement spring will take that jerkiness away. Not sure why they didn’t want to add more weight, but think they are using that spring for its soft spring rate to load the motor more on the shift out. I don’t think we’ll see it in next year’s 840. One thing I really like about the magnum force is how hard they grip the belt on take off.

When I seen that change to a 150, that’s the 1st thing I thought would happen when putting around. Just not smooth when going slow. I bet the lower engagement spring will take that jerkiness away. Not sure why they didn’t want to add more weight, but think they are using that spring for its soft spring rate to load the motor more on the shift out. I don’t think we’ll see it in next year’s 840. One thing I really like about the magnum force is how hard they grip the belt on take off.
I was really surprised by the spring change also. Thought it may have been a typo.

I have the QAP 4s and love them. The 850 responds well to them. I know Northstar Rick says says the Magnums work even better and he definitely knows his clutching. Anybody know if he’s on this site? I used to talk to him on the site that banned everyone lol.

I don't think I've ever seen him on this site?

I dropped the Dalton Green in this aft and went riding. Works mint in terms of performance. I was hoping for a lower engagement but it didn’t really bring it down much. Went from a 150 to a 120 start.

I’d like to see around a 3000 rpm or lower engagement.

The new spring is a struggle for sure. I’ve found a 4-5 mph difference in the qap4 depending where the weight is. I have a 3/8 and 5/8 screw all the way in the tip and the shorter of the two longest screws in the heels hanging out as far as they can. I don’t have any tungsten here but I’m betting that if I can run a tungsten in the tip with the same heel will rip!

I do find the engagement jerky trying to creep through a portage trail. I’d like to shim my spider but I’m going to try the lower engagement spring today first.
Jamie are you seeing more gains when adding tip weight or heel weight. When I have more time on my sled (only 2+hrs) Was going to try and move more weight to the heel.

Jamie are you seeing more gains when adding tip weight or heel weight. When I have more time on my sled (only 2+hrs) Was going to try and move more weight to the heel.
So I put 4g in the tips and had rpm under control but speed was similar to stock. I then added additional heel weight with the screws hanging out a bit and picked up 4-5 mph and peak rpm / responsiveness never changed.

Back
Top Bottom