• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Adjustable weights who's using them and what brand

So I put 4g in the tips and had rpm under control but speed was similar to stock. I then added additional heel weight with the screws hanging out a bit and picked up 4-5 mph and peak rpm / responsiveness never changed.
Aluminum screws in the tip and your tungsten screws in the heel.

Can I get a primary spring which would get me down to 3000 rpm or less engagement? I’m at about 3400 now.

I’d like to shim the spider too the engagement is too jerky. I want smooth.

Can go with the gold Polaris spring 110-290. Not sure about getting 3000rpm engagement, but it should soften the engagement. Might wait till the sled is fully broke in before making to many changes.

Can go with the gold Polaris spring 110-290. Not sure about getting 3000rpm engagement, but it should soften the engagement. Might wait till the sled is fully broke in before making to many changes.
The info I have shows the Polaris gold @ 100-275. This spring was run in an 800 a while back 2017 or 2018 I think. The one I had fatigued out fast and dropped RPM. May have been a bad run of springs.

For you guys with more P85 tuning experience than me maybe you can help me in a different way.

I’m considering maybe I should be also looking to shim the spider to get a smoother engagement. I remember shimming my turbo cat and it was night / day smoother engagement. Maybe this is the route I should be exploring vs lowering engagement anymore?

I have no complaints about how the Dalton green 120/290 is performing.

IMO, unless belt sheave clearance is way off, it won’t change much. A 110-290 Polaris spring will be a little softer. And, a 100-275 even a little more soft. Not saying either one of these will increase performance in other areas. Not familiar with QAP’s, but I do know the SLP magnum force wts improve low speed drive ability in the tight twisties/technical areas.

IMO, unless belt sheave clearance is way off, it won’t change much. A 110-290 Polaris spring will be a little softer. And, a 100-275 even a little more soft. Not saying either one of these will increase performance in other areas. Not familiar with QAP’s, but I do know the SLP magnum force wts improve low speed drive ability in the tight twisties/technical areas.
I’m wondering how different the magnum force is vs the QAP4 they soil somewhat similar in profile to me and execution.

what weight range magnum force with a 120/290 spring?

For you guys with more P85 tuning experience than me maybe you can help me in a different way.

I’m considering maybe I should be also looking to shim the spider to get a smoother engagement. I remember shimming my turbo cat and it was night / day smoother engagement. Maybe this is the route I should be exploring vs lowering engagement anymore?

I have no complaints about how the Dalton green 120/290 is performing.
Before you reshim the primary check your belt to sheave clearance. It should be .005 to .035. If your over .035 this will give you a harsh engagement and needs to be reshimed. Also check belt deflection. Do you have the stock belt or aftermarket?

Did you ride it with the stock set up before making any changes to clutch components?

Did you ride it with the stock set up before making any changes to clutch components?

Yes with stock clutching my sled wanted to rev 8400-8500 rpm hence the clutch changes.

Im running the QAP4 fully loaded with 3-4 threads hanging out on the heels. Perfectly flat instant shift curve 8000-8100 every squeeze. -20 to 0*

When checking your belt to sheave clearance be sure to check with a new belt installed. The SLP M/F weight is nearly identical to the QAP4’s profile, one thing I noticed with the M/F weights they act a bit heavier than their actual weight other than that I have found no advantage from one weight to the other.

Did that change when you changed the primary? Did you check the belt sheave clearance?
It’s been consistent since day one regardless of belt, spring or weight.

I’m going to order a stiffer secondary spring to try and wake it up a bit in the 60-80 mph range.

Not sure if your going to tune it out. It’s an 840 and it just has some low end grunt.

I'm running magnum force weight in my 20 850 at 76 grams. 110/290 spring. Engagement is buttery smooth. What is the belt clearance with the Dalton weights? Does it change from the stock 10series?

I run Magnum force in my 20 , engagement is really up to you , They grab the belt fantastic and pull very very well with a 100 , 110 , 120 ,135 start rate spring IF you are using an oem secondary , grab yourself a venom green / blk secondary 140/220 ( I assume you are studded ) grab the bearing for the secondary as well ..NOW that bearing acts like a more aggressive secondary helix ....so now the secondary spring will keep you from initial spin and the bearing will increase your upshift bringing your rpm down so as you play with adding primary weight you will see a pattern form and you can quickly figure out how much weight and spring to add ..Remember if you drop the spring force... it act like adding weight and will shift hard and fast.
hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom