• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Adjustable weights who's using them and what brand

Doug

Remember the day of grinding weights? Grinding engagement notches, remove weight from the tip etc. What a pain plus a lot of trial and error and a big tool box of what did or didn't work. I currently use SLP Magnum Force and they do now have a new series that ranges from 69.2 to 77 grams. Much easier now just changing set screws. Even use aluminum and tungsten (thanks Turbojamie for the tungsten idea) to move weight around within the weight.

Last edited:
You’re welcome, I am going to play with Dalton weights in mine this season and see if I can make gains. I have a really nice GPS data logger that I use for all my testing.

I’m gonna try the new heavier magnum force see what I can get out of those and then maybe try a set of dalton. Ive had really good luck with dalton fixed weights. So I’ve been meaning to try thier adjustables.

I ran SLP magnums in my 850 assault all last season. Using custom set screws I am up at 76 grams. Sled runs great no major complaints with the weights. I may pull them out and throw them in my new 650 since they are the lighter version. They didn't have the heavier SLP's yet when I bought them. Seriously considering a set of QAP5s for this year.

I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a set of adjustable weights (been saying that for about 4 seasons now) ... but never seem to pull the trigger. I honestly think this may be the first sled I literally just "gas, oil, and go" and say the hell with it as far as clutching and/or gearing go. The guys I ride with just don't horse around any longer, like we used to ... so there's really no bragging rights.

I suspect my 650 will need more weight once it's broke in, similar to my 850. That's why I went adjustable. I'll move them to my next sled also, so investment is minimal.

I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a set of adjustable weights (been saying that for about 4 seasons now) ... but never seem to pull the trigger. I honestly think this may be the first sled I literally just "gas, oil, and go" and say the hell with it as far as clutching and/or gearing go. The guys I ride with just don't horse around any longer, like we used to ... so there's really no bragging rights.

I do next to zero racing except against myself anymore lol. Still I love the challenge that comes with building some better clutching than OEM. I have been doing testing for an aftermarket guy for many seasons now and always learn new stuff every year. I am looking forward to playing with this sled a bit. I'll be curious on the data logger how much difference in performance there is between 7900 / 8000 rpm and where the factory is runnign 8100 +

I keep on saying every year its going to be gas and go but that never happens. We no longer line up the way we use to but there's always them couple times that you do. Sold my timing lights and radar gun a long time ago but still have access to them.

I do next to zero racing except against myself anymore lol. Still I love the challenge that comes with building some better clutching than OEM. I have been doing testing for an aftermarket guy for many seasons now and always learn new stuff every year. I am looking forward to playing with this sled a bit. I'll be curious on the data logger how much difference in performance there is between 7900 / 8000 rpm and where the factory is runnign 8100 +
Try running it at 8150 my sled likes a bit more rpm. Than dynos say it would. Backed up by et. And mph. My personal sled and buddies are not happy at 7900.

I ran SLP magnums in my 850 assault all last season. Using custom set screws I am up at 76 grams. Sled runs great no major complaints with the weights. I may pull them out and throw them in my new 650 since they are the lighter version. They didn't have the heavier SLP's yet when I bought them. Seriously considering a set of QAP5s for this year.

i have used the dalton's QAP 4 in many sleds and loved them. Last year I tried the QAP5 and didn't have the same level of successin my happiness with these weights in my 850. I spen a lot of time trying other things and one day at Northstar Performance I had Rick work on my sled trying to help me with some of my complaints. After fucking with and chasing down a few suspect possible problems he decided to pull the QAP5 weights and tossed in a fixed weight 76gram "BELLY BUSTER" and the sled was much happier. I didn't see that one coming and thanked him for the find. Since this has happened I have talked with a few other Tuners ho work with re-mapping ECU's and selling Clutch Kits. I found that they had already been through the same process of trying the QAP5 weights. Both guys told me they much prefer the QAP4 over the QAP5 and sell their kits with the QAP4. I can't quite remember the exact finding but I believe it had something to do with the profile difference?? Either way my experience with the QAP5 in the 850 wasn't a great one for me. Even though the fixed 76 gram weights are working for me pretty well I will be ordering a set of the Dalton's QAP4 weights for my new Matryx. Wish I hadn't sold the last two sets I bought with my previous sleds. Hey, if you aren't trying new things you aren't learning. It's easy to play it safe but that's no fun. Always looking for something new that might be better. Sometimes we end right back where we started with some things.

Last edited:
Try running it at 8150 my sled likes a bit more rpm. Than dynos say it would. Backed up by et. And mph. My personal sled and buddies are not happy at 7900.

Funny,,, I started last year running around 8150 with the QAP5 weights and the explosive feeling was lacking a bit of Fun factor. Started dropping my weight slightly little by little and found it to feel stronger at 7950-8000 with lack of any extra feel past 8050. As I said earlier in a different post. Trials and play I found the QAP5 seemed to not be what my last 2019 assault 850 was happy with. Ended up at the end of last season with 76 gram "Fixed weight" Belly Busters and the sled definitely was happier. (( Or you could say I was happier. :)) With these weights the RPM jumped up to the 8100-8150 zone and it was much improved over any RPM feel I had going with the Dalton QAP5. I wish the Belly Busters were adjustables because I would have loved to see what slightly less and more weight would have felt like. I had no explanation for why the Dalton's didn't impress me like every other set I ever had did in my 800's. After talking with Tuners that you know it seems the 850 isn't as happy with the QAP5 as they seem to be very happy with the QAP4's. the only reason why switched from the QAP4 to the QAP5 was because I bought the BMP Head, Y-Pipe and Pipe with Tune and made the assumption I might need more weight than the QAP4 offers. In the end the BMP stuff was a complete waste of time on my 2019 Assault 850. I didn't need extra weight at all. On my new Matryx 850 I won't be bolting on any of that BMP crap or the QAP5 weights. I plan to try something a little different and gonna get me a set of the QAP4 weights again which never let me down before. I of course have some other weights I plan to try after I get the sled dialed in with new package and the QAP4 weights. Even though the QAP4 has been tested and confirmed to work well I might as well try the other weights that I already own just to see the difference in how it feels. I don't run timing lights and get overly technical in my experiments. I feel I have a pretty good seat of the pants analysis in how happy the sled is. I know that is disturbing to some tuners and have often been told that seat of the pants means nothing. To me when my sled is consistently happy I'm consistently happy. Please SANTA send me Snow for Christmas.

You didn’t happen to compare the belly busters to magnum force weights while you were at ricks did you ? Ive been toying with the idea of buying a set of those. Just to try.

I was talking with Pockets from HCS last year about this. He mentioned belly busters also instead of the SLP.

Now for the Dalton's, the QAP5's may have more mass in the wrong spot compared to the 4's since they are the next step up in base grams possibly. I think the profiles are the same.

With my lighter SLPs and custom set screws I have the heaviest screw in the middle of the weight. Similar to a belly busters, kind of. Seems to work good.

Glad I ordered the QAP 4’s I was between the 4’s and 5’s when I was ordering.

mom going to start with the 4’s and a Dalton green and see what I can do. Then I want to move into lower engagement and belt shimming for a smooth takeoff. Anyone who’s owned an 850 Doo knows how easily they crawl. I want that in my Assault.

If someone can compare the newer version belly busters against a polaris 10-76 and 11-76. Or BB 74 against 10-74 and 11-74. Some guys say the old BB were more agressive and some of the lower weight ones are. BUT the 74 and 76. Are same at 10 or 11 series 74 and 76. Curious because the poo weights I have the BB I don’t have

If someone can compare the newer version belly busters against a polaris 10-76 and 11-76. Or BB 74 against 10-74 and 11-74. Some guys say the old BB were more agressive and some of the lower weight ones are. BUT the 74 and 76. Are same at 10 or 11 series 74 and 76. Curious because the poo weights I have the BB I don’t have
I have some 11 series weights and haven't used them in anything for a while. Polaris came out with theses in the mid 2000's when they had the 700 and 900 fusions and those were a lower RPM sled being 7200-7300 RPM. They worked better in those sleds than the 10 series. It's been s while since I've worked with them but they didn't seem to work as good with the newer sleds when I did. Don't have any belly busters to try them with. I kept my 850 from last year with the SLP Magnum weights in and have the heavier series SLP weights in my 2021. If we ever get snow I'm curious how they will compare

Right. If somebody can I just wanted them to compare them on bench not spend time testing them. 11s might be a better short distance weight but the 10s are better when you get rolling imo. I’m pretty sure you get better top end with a 10 than an 11. I’m just trying to see if the newer belly busters are just polaris weight copies

You didn’t happen to compare the belly busters to magnum force weights while you were at ricks did you ? Ive been toying with the idea of buying a set of those. Just to try.
I haven't tried the new SLP Magnum Force threaded weights yet. I believe Rick recommends and likes both the Belly Busters and the Magnum Force in his kits.

I have run 11 series for Drag racing in the past. I am running QAP5s in my 850 loaded to 76g with a 310 finish on the Primary spring. I have some Cutler Turbo Mags for my 800 and a set for my 850 that I will test for 500 and 660 snow drags. The TMs are pretty much an 11 series profile and have pins like the Daltons.

I have run 11 series for Drag racing in the past. I am running QAP5s in my 850 loaded to 76g with a 310 finish on the Primary spring. I have some Cutler Turbo Mags for my 800 and a set for my 850 that I will test for 500 and 660 snow drags. The TMs are pretty much an 11 series profile and have pins like the Daltons.

good info and glad to have you here posting!

Back
Top Bottom