• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Dollar / HP with pipes

I'm waiting for the DTR results for bikeman myself. And would really like to see what jaws has to offer also. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a pipe , but it's also gotta fit the stock can. I must have gotten old over night but I just don't like that loud bark all day and night anymore.

Did anyone see the titanium pro lite pipe that ssi makes? Says it 8-9 hp over stock and 8-9 lighter than stock.

My logic is a little bit different. Sure the SSI pipe mod cost less to get done. But few things to keep in mind.

- You no longer have a stock pipe to put back on, sell, use as garage decoration, so on. New one is $460 from polaris.
- Your paying shipping for the SSI 2 ways probably around $50 bucks. It will cost closer to $300 to get the SSI mod done.
- You can get deals from SLP dealers and pay less. I got the stage 2 for $100 less than list and free shipping. SSI pipe mod price is what it is.
- SLP just looks sweet with the ceramic coating

Only reason I would get the SSI mod over the SLP exhaust is if you want a oem sleeper look. Which I understand some states you have to run OEM and the SSI is a great option for them.

After looking through DTR, These sleds are not consistent at all. HP is all over the place. These pipes are going to make these sleds run better and its going to feel like more than it is showing on the dyno. I don't race dyno's

The pipe that makes the widest hp/torque curve gets my attention. So far it's the terra alps pipe. Starts getting more hp at 7000 rpm and climbs from there. That's a amazing pipe.

I bet none make over 8 hp alone(we'll see)

One thing I am confused about is Fueling with the pipe. People say more hp with fuel controller such as PCV, Bully dog. SLP is saying none needed with there pipe. The Pipe comes with a resistor for exhaust sensor so it will add fuel needed. Which seems like a cheap way of fixing it but maybe not the best way?

Bikeman is recommending a bullydog. Even for stock axys 800 to correct the following.
    • Corrects base fuel & timing maps for optimum performance.
    • Corrects fuel & timing maps for warm weather performance.
    • Corrects timing above 8000 RPM for aftermarket pipes that like to rev for optimum horsepower.
    • Corrects timing map based on pipe exhaust gas temp to better hold in the peak power curve.
    • Corrects steady throttle lean mapping for better throttle response.
    • Corrects Electronic Oil Mixture map for optimum motor longevity and performance
The there are some guys such as northstarrick, and brock on here saying that there is HP with adding a power commander. I e-mailed DTR to see if he had a tune that I could run with my SLP pipe, and he wrote back saying SLP doesn't need one. So I am very confused on what to do.

A question i was wondering, as people have found the TPS sensor on these is crucial, can you change the settings digitally with the PCV, bulldog or is this something that you have to physically change on the sled by bending something or replacing TPS or so on

One thing I am confused about is Fueling with the pipe. People say more hp with fuel controller such as PCV, Bully dog. SLP is saying none needed with there pipe. The Pipe comes with a resistor for exhaust sensor so it will add fuel needed. Which seems like a cheap way of fixing it but maybe not the best way?

Bikeman is recommending a bullydog. Even for stock axys 800 to correct the following.
    • Corrects base fuel & timing maps for optimum performance.
    • Corrects fuel & timing maps for warm weather performance.
    • Corrects timing above 8000 RPM for aftermarket pipes that like to rev for optimum horsepower.
    • Corrects timing map based on pipe exhaust gas temp to better hold in the peak power curve.
    • Corrects steady throttle lean mapping for better throttle response.
    • Corrects Electronic Oil Mixture map for optimum motor longevity and performance
The there are some guys such as northstarrick, and brock on here saying that there is HP with adding a power commander. I e-mailed DTR to see if he had a tune that I could run with my SLP pipe, and he wrote back saying SLP doesn't need one. So I am very confused on what to do.

A pcv with timing/ fuel can add 4 hp to a stock axys. I did it at dtr this year, so I know. The stock map has left a lot on the table and a controller can correct it and make it better.
I will have some programs to try at dtr soon. I will keep you guys posted.

As for the tps. Take it to dealer and put on dw. Set baseline to 0.007 volts and wot no higher then 4.36 volts. Set idle at 0.913 volts.

Ok. Thanks I snowchecked a sled so I will try to get the dealer hook it up and show me before I take delivery. Also would like him to put the clutch alignment tool on it.

Where can I get a map for my sled running slp pipe set?

Ok. Thanks I snowchecked a sled so I will try to get the dealer hook it up and show me before I take delivery. Also would like him to put the clutch alignment tool on it.

Where can I get a map for my sled running slp pipe set?

Did u already purchase the slp pipe set??

I'm waiting for the DTR results for bikeman myself. And would really like to see what jaws has to offer also. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a pipe , but it's also gotta fit the stock can. I must have gotten old over night but I just don't like that loud bark all day and night anymore.
I kind of like to be stealthy myself. Div20

Did u already purchase the slp pipe set??
Yeah. See attached photo. I got a good deal on it pm if you want to know dealer name as SLP doesn't let them publish cheaper prices.
I kind of like to be stealthy myself. Div20
Thats one reason I went SLP. There silencer passed SAE J-2567 stationary sound test below 88 decibels

I also got DTR membership. I just need him to send me a map after he gets one for SLP exhaust. But Im guessing that a controller works for stock because it leans it out but fuel map is about right when you have an exhaust and you can't lean it out. Which is why when you get a head/domes they require a controller because the head/domes lower compression allowing you to lean it out more?

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 422
The pipe that makes the widest hp/torque curve gets my attention. So far it's the terra alps pipe. Starts getting more hp at 7000 rpm and climbs from there. That's a amazing pipe.

I bet none make over 8 hp alone(we'll see)
I will always give up a couple of Hp at the top for a larger torque number!

The controller doesn't lean it out.
It fixes areas of fuel and timing that is way safe but adds hp at the same time.

The slp pipe with muffler didn't do very wel at dtr. Not trying to ruin your purchase. Just stating what happened. 3.8hp with the system and resistor in non e mode.

The resistor just fools the ecu that the pipe is hotter then what it actually is up around 7500 rpm.

Yeah I read all of DTR's research before I purchased it. I think it will make more than that on most sleds. DTR dyno numbers are all over the place in his AXYS H.O. tests. And doesn't seem like he likes SLP that much lol. I have had good results with SLP products in the past, like there quiet muffler, and from real world on snow reviews people rave about how good it works. I am only 2 1/2 hrs away from DTR when you doing all this testing on these different pipes?

Last edited:
Yeah I read all of DTR's research before I purchased it. I think it will make more than that on most sleds. DTR dyno numbers are all over the place in his AXYS H.O. tests. And doesn't seem like he likes SLP that much lol. I have had good results with SLP products in the past, like there quiet muffler, and from real world on snow reviews people rave about how good it works. I am only 2 1/2 hrs away from DTR when you doing all this testing on these different pipes?
Jim has no preference on different pipes etc....... He's just running the dyno and we try something different.

Probably November for testing. Bring your axys in. I'm about 2 1/2 hours away too. ( no biggie) .

Eight Pilot, Just because Rich doesn't make more hp dosen't mean someone else can't.That's a pretty boldt statement to throw out there about some guy building pipes out of there mothers basement.
Terra alps is no basement builder.They are one of the only ones that actually offer a cast piston for the pre axys 800 fix it kits and there stuff runs harder then most other competitor products.

He would need 1 hell of a resume just to be mentioned in the same sentence as Larry Rugland. Care to elaborate ???
Sure. He builds winning engines for guys in RMSHA like Erin Buekelman. His fix kits for the 800 Polaris actually work. Just for shits and giggles Steve why don't you Facebook message Ted and ask him what's all involved in his 800 fix kit. You just may be surprised. I know I was. And other than Greg from Jaws who else is Canadian that does this type of work?

Well when he gets to be as old as Larry then we'll know. Time will tell Steve. Did you message Ted like I told you to in my previous post? I'm not bashing Rugland at all as he's a really sharp cookie. But we don't have too many snowmobile performance shops in Canada as the states do other than Jaws which is the only other one that I can think of at the moment. Since we don't have many performance shops in Canada there has to be somebody who's really up there in knowledge. Hence the comparison. Ted's pipes have broad power like Rugland pipes do. Anyways, discussion over.

Last edited:
Well when he gets to be as old as Larry then we'll know. Time will tell Steve. Did you message Ted like I told you to in my previous post? I'm not bashing Rugland at all as he's a really sharp cookie. But we don't have too many snowmobile performance shops in Canada as the states do other than Jaws which is the only other one that I can think of at the moment. Since we don't have many performance shops in Canada there has to be somebody who's really up there in knowledge. Hence the comparison. Ted's pipes have broad power like Rugland pipes do. Anyways, discussion over.

There are plenty of REALLY good engine builders in Canada.

Look up:
Brent Linderman (Arctic Edge)
Lenny Benoit
Iantomossi
DNE
Engine Tech
Racers edge
Ralph @ Splitsecond
Neil @ Neils powerpipes
Mountain Magic

Last edited:
There are plenty of REALLY good engine builders in Canada.

Look up:
Brent Linderman (Arctic Edge)
Lenny Benoit
Iantomossi
DNE
Engine Tech
Racers edge
Ralph @ Splitsecond
Neil @ Neils powerpipes
Mountain Magic
Wow didn't know that we had that many. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom