• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

gates vs polaris belt

Jim, he has to be cutting where the heel rest's. Poo tips don't touch anything.

Jim, he has to be cutting where the heel rest's. Poo tips don't touch anything.
I'm thinking he meant the tip of the heel where it rests.

this makes the roller sit lower on the wieght which could be an advantage.

years ago with primary clutches, lower pin placement used to do the same thing.

I have no problem with indy Dan balancing the primary. my only concern is him machining the clutch sheaves.I would want to know the exact degree he is going to machine the sheave faces at.there is not much material on a primary clutch sheave face to machine. once he machines the clutch sheaves you're stuck with it.

If the gates is that much wider I would need to reshim my primary. For the first time I have ever seen,,,the clutch on my axys did not require reshimming/indexing. I'm right at .015" with a new 1177 belt.
Really???
Hmmmm
most Polaris belts are 0.040" to 0.060" belt to sheave clearance from factory. You must have got a good one .
That's a brand new polaris belt measured too.

I've seen on some Polaris clutch's were the weights rest on the tips. I'm off to the races, I'll try and make time this week to get pics.
machining the spider changes pin height(tucking the weights),grinding heels,etc.........

were the pin sits on weight changes from different makes of weights,profiles,heels, etc.........

just tell him(indydan) what weight you plan on using and he can machine accordingly

eg: 10 series polaris weights, good profile but not enough tip weight

slp weights,more aggressive profile more tip weight

Brock you mean SLP's MTX weight's? They say go 4 grams heavier than your current weight I believe? If so a 70 gram vs the std 10-66 on a Ax8. Same as Poo recommends when going to 11 series weight. Are MTX similiar to 11's?

I don't have a set of slp weights to compare with 11 series right now.:Banghead

I doo, if I can make the time I'll do a comparison.
Thanks.

If I remember right, the slp weights have a heavier tip then the 10 series,plus the profile and heel are different which in turn gives a different placement on weight to pin(machining spider can do similar results)

IMAG0691.jpg

Lets assume a person has two identical belts, but the pitch length on one is either shorter or longer than the other? What in theory would be faster - the shorter pitch length or longer pitch length?

Lets assume a person has two identical belts, but the pitch length on one is either shorter or longer than the other? What in theory would be faster - the shorter pitch length or longer pitch length?

Shorter would be quicker and longer would be faster... thats my guess.

The primary has to have the mechanical ability to close far enough to drive the belt to the top also. A belt that is to long will not be able to be pulled as deep into the secondary. I will warn that if a belt is too short and gets driven high up in primary it can go to deep in secondary potentially hit the hub and blow the belt also. Generally it will pull it right apart. Boom.

So to check your belt to sheave, do you need a specific tool or do you just use feeler guage while belt is sitting in the clutch?

Feeler gauge. Belt has to be pushed against either sheave of the primary. I like to check them with the primary on the bench. Wrap the belt around, and tighten it with a tie wrap to make the belt as small as possible in the clutch.then measure

Feeler gauge. Belt has to be pushed against either sheave of the primary. I like to check them with the primary on the bench. Wrap the belt around, and tighten it with a tie wrap to make the belt as small as possible in the clutch.then measure
Just pulled my clutch, did as written above and I can get a .025 feller guage in. Unfortunately that's as big as my set goes. Don't have a spider/ spider nut tool to pull it to remove shims. Clutch will have to stay the same until I can or parts in. Unless someone is close to Waterloo Ontario that could help a brother out?

Just pulled my clutch, did as written above and I can get a .025 feller guage in. Unfortunately that's as big as my set goes. Don't have a spider/ spider nut tool to pull it to remove shims. Clutch will have to stay the same until I can or parts in. Unless someone is close to Waterloo Ontario that could help a brother out?
On a side note to this, the newer belt I have on now is 1.414 and old spare belt that came with the sled is. 1.406.

Not a gurantee, but a Gates belt would probably get that clearance donw below .010. Maybe even below .005

My new gates measures 1.48 across. That's quite a bit more than 1.42 for my newish (300mi) polaris. I could not fit the newest gates with my new tm weights.

Anyone else notice these weights change clearance.

Cg

Back
Top Bottom