• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutching and gearing

Got my 70p from Dennis Kirk. $81.00 free shipping if order is over $89

I finally made the jump over to this forum.

Brock is correct!! Make sure that when you gear down, you throw more weight at the primary.

Look for stuff on EBAY too. There's lots of stuff on there for really cheap. A lot cheaper than any dealer can sell them for.

As I read through all these forums, I can tell there's less DRAMA!! Just plain out info.

Or guys that work for performance shops that have fake profiles to promote themselves and gouge others.

Brock is correct!! Make sure that when you gear down, you throw more weight at the primary.
I bugged you long enough. Div20:Jump

You need to load the motor , two ways to do this, one way is the chain case gear ratio, the second is threw the clutches. Think of it as balance,, if you change one of the loads , you will then have to balance it out in the other load.. So gearing down without changing the clutch load will most likely result in a slower sled. Cuz ur not loading the engine to make it work. The added gear is mechanically helping the drive train taking away some of the load .remember balance the two loads out.

I also just re-joined the world of Polaris...and new to this forum. Seems like a great place for valuable information. Thanks guys...I am basically starting over with Polaris after being on cats/doo for the last 15 years.

I always run heavy weights, better belt pinch and faster shift out. Heavy weights and the lightest springs possible has always always got the best et .
Guys are to scared to run a heavier weight then stock. Don't be, the polaris twins like it and this pipe is specifically made for low end grunt and mid range pull. Add weight.
This will help with any cvt problems also.

Be good to trade some information gabes. :D

Reactions: Lid
Will help as much as I can, but can't let too much cat out of the bag!!!

Going heavier with weights is the right direction, but softer springs and too heavy of weights will kill your backshift also. There's a happy medium. Every rider is different and there's a "give and take" for clutching to suit individual needs.

Will help as much as I can, but can't let too much cat out of the bag!!!

Going heavier with weights is the right direction, but softer springs and too heavy of weights will kill your backshift also. There's a happy medium. Every rider is different and there's a "give and take" for clutching to suit individual needs.

That's why I said "lightest springs possible"

I'll let the cat outta the bag a little,lol
A 54/44 or 50/44 full progressive helix works awesome for trail and backshift .:confused:

I also just re-joined the world of Polaris...and new to this forum. Seems like a great place for valuable information. Thanks guys...I am basically starting over with Polaris after being on cats/doo for the last 15 years.
Welcome to PSP!
A lot of good info with out the baggage and BS.
It took 15 years for you to see the light?!! LOL

If you have an S or an X model the a shorty or switch.

Proper track tension

Proper chain tension

Clutch alignment

Balancing clutches is worth it.

0 to 2000' ft above.

Shorty or switch with a ripsaw or cobra, studs or no studs. 1.74 gear ratio, primary- 120 to 130 lbs rate spring, 70 gram weights(68 if your 275 lbs+)
Secondary, 66/44.46 or 50/44full , 70 to 90 lbs rate spring.

Shorty or switch with 1.5" + lug track. 1.81 or 1=86 gear ratio. Primary and secondary the same as above.

As you see I just named the spring rate, that's because lower/ higher engagement and spring finish lbs can be changed for studs,no studs,1.25" lug or 1.5"+ lug.

If you choose not to re gear, then none of what I said above will work for you .
I just came back to re read these post and noticed your 70-90 spring rate for the secondary???

teamsecsprg.jpg
p2nontab.jpg
That's the rate of spring Dave not the load.
Hmm. I guess I have only looked at spring rate for primary springs. It's not commonly mentioned for secondary springs. I am not denying it's there though.

Last edited:
That's the rate of spring Dave not the load.
The reason I mention rate is because I don't wanna give someone a wrong spring choice that might not work for them.
Spring rate makes it vague.

I understand that Brock. But there is a caveat with all the different clutch setups. What works for one may not work for all. Too many variables. Best thing to say is, This is what worked for me, it may not work for you.

I understand that Brock. But there is a caveat with all the different clutch setups. What works for one may not work for all. Too many variables. Best thing to say is, This is what worked for me, it may not work for you.
It's a good place to start Dave then finess it from there. Div20

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom