• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutching and gearing

Went out today for an awesome ride! Trails are finally getting good up here in northern Maine!! Anyway my sled is at 219 miles and I'm geared 1.74 with 50-44f and 68 gram EPI weights. Primary spring is 120-310 and secondary is 140-220. Still not getting full shift on primary. Down about 1/4 inch. So is it because I'm still in break in?
Could be that everything is still tight. It takes a while for those rings to seat to make power. Also it takes a while for your track to loosen up. 219 miles is still too tight. What's your belt to shieve clearance like? I don't think that the EPI weights have enough tip weight unless they aren't belly busters.

That's interesting popo I've tested a 310 primary spring and 155/222 on stock weights and stock helix. In my testing my sled was slower.
Were you geared down? I regeard to 1.74, Gates belt, 71.8 gram weights, 120-310 primary spring, stock helix, and 155-222 secondary spring and annihilate a stock AXYS 800 Rush. It's not even close.

Were you geared down? I regeard to 1.74, Gates belt, 71.8 gram weights, 120-310 primary spring, stock helix, and 155-222 secondary spring and annihilate a stock AXYS 800 Rush. It's not even close.
Bigfuse how will the 155-222 do with same setup as you but a 50-44 helix? 15 rush s 8

Bigfuse how will the 155-222 do with same setup as you but a 50-44 helix? 15 rush s 8
I have no idea as I've never tried the 50-44 helix. Only one way to find out. Put the spring in and give it a go.

Are they 10-72 or did you mod the stock weights. That's very impressive with the stock helix. I'll have to try that combo
I bought a set of three weights. The lightest was 71.8, next was 72.3, and the heaviest was 72.5. So got them all balanced to the lightest weight which was 71.8.

I bought a set of three weights. The lightest was 71.8, next was 72.3, and the heaviest was 72.5. So got them all balanced to the lightest weight which was 71.8.
Sounds good, I have some 10-72's on the way so I'll have to balance them. I can't believe they were that far off.

Went out today for an awesome ride! Trails are finally getting good up here in northern Maine!! Anyway my sled is at 219 miles and I'm geared 1.74 with 50-44f and 68 gram EPI weights. Primary spring is 120-310 and secondary is 140-220. Still not getting full shift on primary. Down about 1/4 inch. So is it because I'm still in break in?
What is your top rpm from a good stretch??
What's your belt to sheave?
What belt are you using?

The epi weights don't have enough tip weight to help you shift out by the way . Weld a half a gram tack to tip under side and you'll see a change. Or get a weight with a heavier tip like slp lightening weights. Or speedwerx.

Sounds good, I have some 10-72's on the way so I'll have to balance them. I can't believe they were that far off.
I think that Polaris specifies that they're within 1/2 a gram either way. So you could have 10-72 weights weigh from 71.5-72.5 grams. That's quite a bit IMO.

Friend of mine is running a 125/340 primary, a 160/240 secondary spring, not sure what helix because he won't tell me (great friend haha) and I think 10-72 weights. Regeared to 1.74 and he said the thing is an animal. That doesn't sound very similar to the recommendations on here but could he have a good setup? He moved up to Vermont last year and built a house so I don't get to see him very much anymore.

There is only one way to find out, line em up.but to answer your question it does seem like to much spring tension , unless he is a big guy. And it still is probably to much. What track and stud length? Just querious

Does he know clutching? If he is still running the stock helix, it might fee snappy around the yard.... Lol. He is ur buddy , he is going to tell you it's fast...right

Loading up that heavy of springs causes more friction. Heats sheaves and belt more. Sometimes it's better for back shift.

Best method is heaviest weights possible and lightest springs.

I've been using a 120-310 primary spring with 10-72 weights, with less than .010" sheeve clearance, and stock secondary , poo belt. In below 20degree F temps, sled pulls 8250 rpm, and shows 106 mph on the recall. Not too bad for rolling that 1.75" track.

Heavy springs aren't the way to go, trust me. Good for back shift and heating up the whole cvt system though.
Put that sled on a timer vs one with lighter springs and heavy weights.

Professional drag racers use the lightest springs possible and throw the heaviest weights at it.

Try his set up, or race him ??

Everyone says their stuff is fast,lol

Back
Top Bottom