• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutching and gearing

I'd love to see doc and outcast with their lower gear ratios race the stock gear ratio sled . Looks like their interested.Rockon
I think we both know the outcome for that race!
I would drive to Quebec for this, as that would be 13 hours but I doubt it will be that Far East?

Last edited:
After reading many posts I will be changing my ratio to 1.74 on my 2016 Switchback Pro-s Cobra 1.352 ...will put Daton adjustable weights Qap-3 ...for fast Québec trail riding what do I need more ... springs ??helix???...need help to this game !!

After reading many posts I will be changing my ratio to 1.74 on my 2016 Switchback Pro-s Cobra 1.352 ...will put Daton adjustable weights Qap-3 ...for fast Québec trail riding what do I need more ... springs ??helix???...need help to this game !!
The 1.74 is good. But the 1.73 has less dog leg. I know I mentioned the 1.74 ratio many times. I didn't know the 1.73 ratio had less dog leg until I installed one myself.

The 1.74 is good. But the 1.73 has less dog leg. I know I mentioned the 1.74 ratio many times. I didn't know the 1.73 ratio had less dog leg until I installed one myself.
How critical is the dog leg? Book says 1/2" for the 1.74, Is that a week spot??

I think it's 22/38 with 68 pitch chain. Stock S chain . The 23/40 works with the 70 pitch chain (1.74) I like this ratio better just because the gears are bigger, but if I had an S I wouldn't buy gears and chain

Either a 48-44 full with a 120/200 spring( stock ) or a 50-44 full with a 140/200 spring. Make sure you load the daltons at the pin area( heavy heal) then adjust your tip weight as needed

I think it's 22/38 with 68 pitch chain. Stock S chain . The 23/40 works with the 70 pitch chain (1.74) I like this ratio better just because the gears are bigger, but if I had an S I wouldn't buy gears and chain
Doc you quote at the end that you wouldn't buy gear and chain. Where you headed with that?

Bigger gears are said to be more efficient.
i've been wondering about this. i'm going to need to change the gears on my ultra soon. i was thinking about betting the biggest bottom gear as deep as the chaincase will allow and get a smaller top gear.

looking for a drag race fast trail and top speed set up.

i've been wondering about this. i'm going to need to change the gears on my ultra soon. i was thinking about betting the biggest bottom gear as deep as the chaincase will allow and get a smaller top gear.

looking for a drag race fast trail and top speed set up.
those are 3, at least 2 very different setups.

Bigger gears are said to be more efficient.
This is what I've always done for years. I'd choose the biggest bottom sprocket possible for what ever ratio I chose . But if it has a huge dog leg the the efficiency just went out the window.
Sometimes a compromise works.
Both the 1.73 and 1.74 work good. Heck,so does 1.68 as doc said earlier.
The chain that's the straightest gets my vote.
Also, add the iqr roller tensioner helps a little too.

You r wavering a little there Brock. Both 1.68 ratios have as much and more chain slack as any ratio. .5 for 25-42 and .75 for 22-37

What I meant was the 1.68 ratio is better then the 1.61 :D

Back
Top Bottom