• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Where to start on MY clutching

New to this game also I have a 2016 Pro-S Switchback with a 1.352 Cobra track with 96 1.325 gold diggers studs looking to improve performance .. Ready to switch to 1.74 gear ratio but what springs to put in the primary and the secondary ...helix ???? .. I have already Dalton weights QAp-3 to be installed ...won't do pipe or can to be trail friendly and legal .. Need help please !

I check it after every time I ride. Mostly cuz I have nothing better to do besides look at my sled hahaha. Once I set the deflection I don't really have to mess with it again for awhile. Like 500 miles. I think polaris recommends like 1 inch to 1 1/2 play pushing down on the tip side of theach belt. But I set my sled on a stand and rev it up to get the belt warm and adjust the belt up so the track just Barely creeps foward. Rev it up and back to idle to make sure it still creeps a tiny bit.

I check it after every time I ride. Mostly cuz I have nothing better to do besides look at my sled hahaha. Once I set the deflection I don't really have to mess with it again for awhile. Like 500 miles. I think polaris recommends like 1 inch to 1 1/2 play pushing down on the tip side of theach belt. But I set my sled on a stand and rev it up to get the belt warm and adjust the belt up so the track just Barely creeps foward. Rev it up and back to idle to make sure it still creeps a tiny bit.
You learned that from a smart fella :D

Depending on fuel mode selected and ambient temp, there is a difference in throttle response . If it's warmer out, say above 35 you will need to be in 91 non to get the sled to be crisp. I run in this mode 95% of the time. How are your springs, ? Ur belt deflection should be about 11/4.

We marked off 1500' on the lake testing.
The 1.61 vs the 1.73 and 1.74 ratios.

The 1.61 ratio got 102 mph, had belt heat and was a half inch from shifting out. The 1.73 and 1.74 ratios got 108 mph in the same distance and shifted out fully with lower clutch heat then the 1.61 ratio.
That explains it all.
Up to you what you wanna do??

Using the 1.61 ratio and adding higher spring force = more friction.
I get what your saying. But i think each applys to each sled, since there is so much difference between them. Ive never had a lot of heat in my clutches, even on my last ride around Easter when it was warm, was down on rpm, would only rev to 8300 from dead stop. Riding it was only going to 7600 when punching it. They found i had broken VES Cable. But even when it was down on rpm. My clutches never got hot where i couldn't hold on to them. I just gotta try each change in the clutching to see what it does and what works for my sled. Only way im gonna learn. Thank you for input, good to know stuff to look out for. Can never learn to much!

I get what your saying. But i think each applys to each sled, since there is so much difference between them. Ive never had a lot of heat in my clutches, even on my last ride around Easter when it was warm, was down on rpm, would only rev to 8300 from dead stop. Riding it was only going to 7600 when punching it. They found i had broken VES Cable. But even when it was down on rpm. My clutches never got hot where i couldn't hold on to them. I just gotta try each change in the clutching to see what it does and what works for my sled. Only way im gonna learn. Thank you for input, good to know stuff to look out for. Can never learn to much!
I'm trying to give advice and explain it the best way for everyone to understand. I've proved the 1.61 ratio is slower then anything in the 1.7 ratios. Clutching is very inconsistent in the 1.61 ratio from day to day, hour to hour for that matter. Your actually going slower with the 1.61 ratio vs the 1.7 ratios.
It's up to you were take my input from there.

I don't want to give any clutching with anything in the 1.61 ratio because it's so inconsistent and it will never perform on a regular daily riding basis.
Div20

I'm trying to give advice and explain it the best way for everyone to understand. I've proved the 1.61 ratio is slower then anything in the 1.7 ratios. Clutching is very inconsistent in the 1.61 ratio from day to day, hour to hour for that matter. Your actually going slower with the 1.61 ratio vs the 1.7 ratios.

I don't want to give any clutching with anything in the 1.61 ratio because it's so inconsistent and it will never perform on a regular daily riding basis.
Div20
Ok thanks, gonna stick with the 1.6 for now to see if i can improve what im looking to improve.

Div20
Ok thanks, gonna stick with the 1.6 for now to see if i can improve what im looking to improve.
Check the first bold. Brock is trying to save money for you by telling you that the 1.61 ratio isn't consistent. Why would you stick with the 1.61 and beat a dead horse by sinking money in to it and try to improve it? I mean it's your money and you can spend it however you want. Div20

PRO-S , CONSIDER PUTTING A 22 TOOTH ON THE TOP. THAT WILL GIVE YOU A 1.68 RATIO. IVE RUN A 24/40 IN MAINE ON FAST TRAIL AND WAS A GREAT SET UP. THE 24/40 WITH THE 70 PITCH HAS NICE CHAIN WRAP AND THE GEARS ARE BIGGER FOR ROLLING CIRCUMFRANCE. YOU WONT SUFFER ANY TOP END LOSS IF YOU DROP THE GEAR A BIT,IT WILL ONLY HELP. THE 24/40 IS A 1.67 RATIO,THATS AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET WITHOUT CHANGING THE CHAIN. IMFASTER HAD THIS IN HIS SLED LAST YEAR IN MAINE,ALONG WITH A CLUTCH KIT,AND LIKED IT ON LONG OPEN TRAILS. DONT FEAR THE GEAR...WORK ON YOUR CLUTCHES A BIT AND YOU WILL SEE THE DIFFERANCE IN YOUR SLED,YOU WILL LIKE IT EVEN MORE. THERE IS EXCELLENT INFO ON THIS SITE,TAKE IT ALL IN AND DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

Check the first bold. Brock is trying to save money for you by telling you that the 1.61 ratio isn't consistent. Why would you stick with the 1.61 and beat a dead horse by sinking money in to it and try to improve it? I mean it's your money and you can spend it however you want. Div20
Cause i honestly dont think i need to change gearing. Haven't had any issues, sled runs good how it is. Belt is still in good shape for miles and no black smear on clutches. I must have go a decent clutch set up? DunnoDiv20

Cause i honestly dont think i need to change gearing. Haven't had any issues, sled runs good how it is. Belt is still in good shape for miles and no black smear on clutches. I must have go a decent clutch set up? DunnoDiv20
Well then don't change it. Second bold. If it's stock don't bet the farm Phil.

I don't know what you are not understanding here. A better gear ratio will
Help the clutches operate more efficiently. And the sled will Pull much harder.'The stock Gearing of 1.61 on the AXYS SUCKS.
When you line up against someone who is geared and clutched properly and get whooped, don't call the sled a POS!

Ok guy's, we all tried to help with a better ratio. Everyone is different and has different ways of doing things.

In the end, were all a sledding family.Sled2

Ok guy's, we all tried to help with a better ratio. Everyone is different and has different ways of doing things.

In the end, were all a sledding family.Sled2

Fully agree.

Just wondering if you happened to have 1.68 results? I can pull that one off very easily

Think of it this way. You are approaching a steep hill in your manual transmission vehicle, what is the first thing you do if you are in 5th gear? You downshift into 4th. If you leave it in 5th gear you are going to loose speed as you are going up the hill because you are in to tall of a gear.

Same idea with 1.61 ratio unless you are on hero snow this gearing is too tall. It doesn't allow it to shift into overdrive because of this.

If you regear it will save you money on trying different clutching.

Back
Top Bottom